1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVI-D cable ? Single or Dual Link

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Ekko Star, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Just got myself a new DVI enabled TFT monitor which I would like to hook via digital cable. These come in Single Link and Dual Link form and I am unsure as to which one to get ?!? Any ideas ?

2. Akele

Akele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I am currently connected via VGA but suffer from ever so slight ghosting. The VGA cable is good quality.

Is the image via DVI spot on and ghost free ?

4. Akele

Akele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did notice slightly less noise when changing from VGA to DVI but I don't think my monitor sufffered much from ghosting, even when using the VGA cable. When using the DVI cable most of the monitor allignment settings (h-position, geometry, ect) are unavailable; thus it is almost impossible to have the monitor set up wrongly. I do still notice a bit of streaking on my monitor when playing fast moving games, but that is because it has a response rate of 25ns, and no matter what the cable it can't be avoided.

You probably won't notice a massive difference between VGA and DVI (I didn't) but if your monitor is suffering from a bit of ghosting, a DVI cable may be the way to go.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Ekko Star

Unless your Source and Display are able to use the Dual Link (up to 2048x1536) a Single Link (up to 1920x1080) will suffice.

Best regards

Joe

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Joe beat me to it, but I've just come across this definition while researching something, which may help:

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Thanks guys for all the help. In the meantime I did find a good site that explains all the differences as well.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html.

I've ended up with a DVI-D dual link, there was only a few quid in it over the single.

Over analogue VGA the difference in DVI is ever ever ever so slight. The ghosting has gone but it's not as pin sharp as I was expecting it. I guess it's TFT imaging. It's not as nearly good as the outgoing CRT via VGA ~ BNC cable.

Still, I can live with the Iiyama considering it's relieved my desktop of 21Kg ! Thanks once again.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Ekko Star

I'm often amazed at friends who seem to expect all 'Flat Screen' LCD monitors are the same - one recently asked for recommendations for a decent PC monitor (used for long periods on a daily basis) and decided my recommended unit (near 1K) was way too much and plumped for a £350 model and then invited me round to try and 'fix' the picture as it was 'all blurry'. :)

Best regards

Joe

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Hi Joe, mine was a bit less than that :blush: An Iiyama Prolite 435s it is, was meant to be one of the best in it's peer group.

TBH I've not seen a TFT screen that I have really been satisfied with but needs must, the desktop needed space.