1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVI cable?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by deadprez69, Mar 10, 2005.

1. deadprez69

deadprez69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can anyone advise me on which cable I would use to connect my pc to ae500?
    I have done searches and was ready to order one from lindy until I read the DVI guide. I think the ae500 has a DVI-D female adapter and it looks like my graphics card (Radeon x300) has a DVI-I female adapter. What cable do i need to buy. I know this might be a typical newb question but this hcpc stuff is making my head hurt already and that's just buying the kit. :lease:

2. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    DVI-D to DVI-D

The "I" is if you have any analogue equipment.

3. deadprez69

deadprez69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers, I will get one ordered. Everything else should be simple now :confused:

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The next thing you need to research is Powerstrip to set 1:1 mapping to eliminate as much video processing by the projector as possible. :)

5. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Quality of the cable will be an issue if you need a long cable ie 10m.I have the ae500 and with a lindy 10m I had "sparklies" so ended up buying a Better Cables 9m dvi which is excellent tho rather expensive.
    Short lenghs will be fine and the Lindy will suffice.
    Rob

6. deadprez69

deadprez69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have ordered a 7.5m lead. I have read that I should still get good quality at this length. I will try it next week when it arrives.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Certainly my experience of a Lindy 7.5m is that it's fine with 1280x720p.

8. deadprez69

deadprez69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Got the lead this morning and it has thrown up some new problems. How am i setting this up? Do I need a special graphics card to have dual screens? or do I swap leads when I want to watch films. Any advice welcome as I didn't have a massive knowledge of computers before starting this project. cheers

9. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You don't want to do that, you will wear the connections, not good.
    What connection does your monitor have?

10. deadprez69

deadprez69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Monitor has vga which is currently connected to my graphics card. The computer (dell 4700) came with the card installed. Do i have the monitor hooked up to the mother boards vga output and the dvi output on the card to feed the projector? or both from the graphics card? I first thought I would just plug the dvi in and run dual monitors, this is not the case. When both outputs on the card are used it seems to send the monitor to sleep(power button changes to amber), it wakes up when dvi is disconnected. Last point, when I try the monitor connected to the motherboard the computer tells me to use the card :confused: what next, cheers

11. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    When you check display properties>settings in the control panel does it show you two monitors? Where it says Display with a down button, is there something about a secondary?

12. pgilford

pgilford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another related question on cables - I need to get a 14m dvi cable - any recommendations? Also, I'm going to run it through 25mm trunking around the outside of the house - will the connector be too big to thread through?

13. moedeeb

moedeeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    On the cable. I have a 10m digital only DVI cable from lindy which works fine. for 14 -20 meters you will probably need a booster box half way along the run. These are expensive but work well.

I have a HTPC with a radion 9600 xt running the monitor from the vga output (set as primary display device and monitor 1) and the projector via the DVI as monitor 2. Leaving my projector in standby mode seems to let the pc know that something is connected and i can use the projector simply by powering it up.

14. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hey Guys
    Will this lindy cable be good for PC to Plasma as well?

Could some one post a link to where it can be purchased? Also where do you get powerstripe from? I imagine I can do something similar for the LG plasma although its resolution is low would this have a detrimental effect?

Thanks

Tone

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    pgilford

We always advocated Sale or Return when it comes to long DVI cables - a 15m BetterCables DVI will handle SD and HD Video Resolutions without affecting the signal quality. See http://www.bettercables.com/15me4febecad.html

There are also DVI over FibreOptic from Gefen - a 20m HDTV60 will work in your set up; though they are quite pricey; we've run these up to 50m. Again we always advocate Sale or Return. See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/cables/hdtv_dvi.jsp#dvi1000

DVI hoods are 40mm across - your going to require bigger trunking; or one where you lay the cable in with the cover off the trunking.

tonetrainer - again you have to consider what signal your outputting and how far your trying to send it; as Rob Dear mentions not everyone finds the Lindy cables suitable for all installations.

Best regards

Joe

PS We have a Special Offer on the 9m BetterCables DVI cables in the Cables section of the Forums :)

16. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Joe

Thanks for the reply, I dont think I will need anything longer than about 2m as my PC is under a desk and above the desk mounted on the wall will be the plasma.

I will await the arrival of the plasma and try my existing DVI-D to DVI-D cable (connect PC to 19" TFT monitor) and then see what the pic quality is like, but I will def need another cable.

Thanks for the links - will take a look.

Tone