WHICH DVDWRITER TO BUY? *help plz*

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by husk24, May 19, 2003.

1. husk24

husk24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WHICH DVDWRITER TO BUY? *help plz*

hi guys

i am wanting to buy a DVDwriter for my pc and need help in deciding which one to buy from UK. I

dont really have a budget - just want to buy the best one . I am interested in copying dvd's etc etc and

want to know is it is possible to copy a full dvd movie, and what implications are there? etc etc.

i have a pentuim 4 2hz processor. i am right in saying that it usually take hours to copy one dvd to

dvd. ? is there anything else i need to know?

thanks in advance

dave

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    It all depends what you want to do with it!

DVD-RW (with it's write-once format DVD-R) is the defacto standard. They will play in most in DVD drives and many set top DVD players. They are ideal if you want to archive files, make DVD-Videos etc.

DVD+RW (with it's write-once format DVD+R) has virtually the same benefits as DVD-RW. The +RW are slightly more compatible than -RW but the write once disks are less compatible and cost slightly more.

DVD-RAM is a format ideal for security of data and regular rolling backups - both business uses really. DVD-RAM is also of interest to owners of set top DVD-RAM recorders who wish to burn to DVD-R.

IMHO I would ensure whatever drive you get has DVD-RW (and thereby DVD-R) support as this IS the defacto PC standard. If you choose to go for a multi format drive, so much the better, be it Panasonic, LG or Sony variety.

3. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right, not got a lot of time so I'll make this quick. Without going into too much detail I agree with what rasczak has already said. However, I wouldn't bother paying the extra for a multi drive, as -chances are You will only end up using one format anyway....I know there are exceptions before everyone pounces on me ;), but personally I don't think it's worth it.

However, forgetting about this there are 3 real choices Imho.

Pioneer 105/a05 (bare drive/retail-which ever suits your budget)-currently fastest on the market at x4-very reliable, lots of firmware available-highly compatible. Pioneer 105 on offer for £149 at digital promotions!!! this is an absoulute bargain (previously £199 and never in stock). Retail version is around £229.-probably the most popular drive.

Sony 500dru (any of the variations of which depending on what you can get). Multi format

Lastly if you don't plan on using x4 media, and are happy to burn on x2 then I would reccomend the Panasonic SW9581 Multi DVD-R/RW. £149-probably the best x2 writter on the market, writes to all media at x2, unlike the a05).

4. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds cool - but who are 'digital promotions' ? - got a webby ?

cheers

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Pioneer also on blankdiscshop.co.uk at that price.
    To copy dvds you'll need dvdxcopy express version 2.0.1 and the whole copy process is around 35-40 minutes depending on machine speed etc.

6. fremar

fremar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Hi All,

Okay im pretty clued up as to burning CDR's and i would luv a DVD Burner, but my experince in DVD burning is very limited (never seen it done)

Is there a website which i can read up on as to making a direct copy of a DVD movie for example, as i cant believe its that simple to-do.

Can u use that software mentioned above to chop off all the extras and just copy the Movie to a DVD-r to save on space.

And are there many movies which need to be copyied onto more then 1 DVD-r disk???

Any help would be much appreacited as im quite tempted to purchase one of the above burners.

Dal

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mods why isn't something done about this thread?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    From a technical point of view I would argue this post is probably quite helpful - i.e. for people with standalone DVD recorders who want to author their titles on the PC.

But I take your point - copying DVDs shouldn't be encouraged esepcially as we are not certain that DVD rot is a 'rotting' problem as opposed to a production one. Personally my DVD-Videos get lugged all over the world without need to make copies.

10. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112

Wannabe

11. fremar

fremar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take nathan_silly's point about not encouraging DVD copying and respect his view but we must be careful not to jump on everyone who asks valid points on the subject.

The purchase of PC and set top DVD copiers and recorders are not illegal are they? So people must be buying them for a reason.

We should make the point that it is DVD Piracy we are opposed to and treat valid queries on DVD backup of personal recordings such as Camcorder footage and TV backups with some respect.

If we blanket ban everything related to DVD recording there will be large gaps appearing in this forum.

12. husk24

husk24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys
    to be honest i am interested to copy foreign dvd's as well as uk ones and also would like to use it for data backup purposes. I am interested in the pionerr and sony drives but which one of them are multiregionable? or which one is hackable and is there any protection on the uk dvd's to stop them being copyed.

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If people are just backing up there original DVD's just in case of DVD rot then I agree with doing this.

But if people are making dozens of couples from rental DVD's, or borrowed discs- then selling them off, then this should be stopped.

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Region coding only really affects DVD-Video - do you actually use you PC drive for watching movies? If not then it's probably not worth making it region free. That said the Digital Digest has everything you need to know about making a PC DVD solution region free:

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/region.html

Have a read and see if it can help.

15. husk24

husk24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Raz

the reason i asked whther the dvdrecorders are multiregion is that so i can copy dvd's from asia as well as from the Uk and then play them in my multiregion dvd player. is that possible with the sony and pioneer recorders?

16. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112

I agree, there are very serious ethical implications and considerations needed for genetic cloning, beit to the couple or single individual - let's not be narrowminded or discriminatory here.

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    You can certainly access the files on a DVD Video that is from a different region than that the drive is set to. This should mean you can 'rip' them. I'm afraid I haven't tried to do this so can't confirm whether it will work or not.

You will find people on these forums:
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/
    who will be able to offer advice on that as well as on the best ways to do it. It's against the rules on this forum to discuss it.

18. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There's a multi-region firmware hack for the pioneer, also allows better than 2x reading, and will burn to 1x discs at 2x. I use cheap cdr-media branded 1x discs and they write at 2x fine.

see here http://kickme.to/dvd105s