1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVDr + HDD ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hercules51, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Hercules51

Hercules51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: I think I need an HDD. However I am very confused by all your threads over which one I should buy for around £250. I almost narrowed it down to liteon 5045 and Pioneer VR 433H, but now ive read than not only are liteon 'ugly boxes' (not really important) but they can be unreliable.

I just want the convenience of recording without searching for discs or tapes. Its unlikely i am going to keep very much TV recording for long periods, although it may be important for quick/quiet tranfers to disc for films with adverts cut out!!.

I have only terrestrial TV and cable box Connections to worry about.

What do you guys suggest?

cheers

2. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've a Panasonic myself (current range, an EH60D) and they are very quiet, fast and user friendly. A DMR-EH50 might suit (80GB HDD). Or I expect the Sony RDR-HX510 is well-liked too.

3. Hercules51

Hercules51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Helen

Why are the rest of you not willing to put forward any ideas?? :thumbsdow

lets change tack. Tell mewhich DVDr +HDD you have and why you bought it over the others. Include the price and where you bought it. :devil:

This may give everyone else who has asked for advice here, and only had 1 reply, something to go on. :lease:

cheers guys

4. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I'm looking at the EH60D as well. But I would also like Divx playback and PVR like functionality, along with dual freeview tuners :(

Also upscale to 720p would be nice :rotfl:

5. BigBadFun

BigBadFun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because if you read down the forums you'll find this question asked a billion times recently with a lot of responses...

6. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    I've just bought a Panasonic DMREH50 from Richersounds. Multiregioned cost me in total £280. Fantastic bit of kit - few annoying features but an excellent buy. Had excellent reviews in all the mags - would recommend this to anyone looking for a HDD/DVDR.

7. jonjonjon

jonjonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got a Panasonic 60D. I bought it for exactly the same reasons as Helen, quiet, excellent picture, user friendly, DVD-RAM, and it looks damn sexy.

If your budget can't quite stretch to the 60D, then go for EH50, same technology (DIGA), but a smaller HDD and no freeview, you can pick them up for about £270 (inc delivery, multiregion, 5 free DVD-RAMs)

Jon

8. Hercules51

Hercules51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/whichdvd.HTML

I found the above site by Rasczak very informative, and it taught me a lot about this medium.

As I said I like a lot of other guests who look at this site, havent got a DVDR yet so i have no idea where to start. I am fed up with having no useful choices (or help) to make at places like Dixons or Comet (who only have 3 or 4 models) and I am confused by the 100s I now find on the internet.

I know that £250 seems about the average price to pay for a model thats been out for a while and is a decent brand, and I was just looking for someone with experience of various models to tell me how good theirs is, and why? I have no idea what some of you techies are on about in these threads, so I cant tell if your machines are worth buying or not. You always turn a please help me thread into a moan about not getting a freeview tuner or HDMI (whatever that is?)!!!!

My needs are simple, as I only have cable and i dont want freeview. I just think a HDD is a damn useful idea to store TV programs on until their are watched, rather than recorded on tape, never watched and/or lost. i also like the idea that I can put a film on disc and edit out the adverts and 10 oclock news!!! What is the best DVDR and HDD that will do that easily, quickly and quietly?

From most of you good people I get the impression that Panasonic are the make to look out for? now prove me wrong. But I cant find a site selling the EH60D. Tried Amazon and richer sounds. Anyone know? And what about the Pioneer 433H that a lot of you rave about?

Thanks

9. jonjonjon

jonjonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  10. mad_hatter

mad_hatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Hercules51 I'm in the exact same position as you. I have been considering a DVD recorder for a while now. Good to hear someone else is in the same boat.

I have 2 problems

1) I want the dvd to be multi-region the EH60D and EH50 seem to be region 2. Am I correct ? Is the only difference between the 2 a bigger hard disk ? I have sky+ so already have a hard disk to store stuff on that.

2) I want a surround sound setup as well, i.e speakers and sub etc. What kind of price would you expect to pay for these ?

Thanks

11. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I picked up a multi-region Panasonic DMREH60D from totaldigital today - £409 inc. next day delivery! :smashin:

As for the sound system - a cheap amp for £150 and some cheap speakers would be enough to get you going. The Canton CD1 set is what I have, but that is for another sub-forum.

12. Rob_J

Rob_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Iv got a multiregion 60D as well great recorder.

13. Hercules51

Hercules51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys. I think Iwill look at the EH50. £410 seem a bit much for 200 hours of hollyoaks recording by the wife!

One question though. All the links I look at suggest region 2. How do you manage to get a multi region recorder, without knowing the codes to break it?

TUTU did your EH60 turn up Ok?

14. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I ordered it thursday at 3pm and turned up the next day at 1pm. Total digital will make it multi-region for free if you ask on the phone. There are two other companies on the Internet who also sell them as multi-region.

So far I am mightly impressed - the recorder is silent (can't hear it over the buzzing of the plasma :rotfl: ). Freeview picture is outstanding - recording quality is good. Recording from Sky - not as good, but the HDTV shows up Sky's poor bit rate on a recording more.

It plays MP3s from CD (but not from a DVD). It also has a SD slot and DV input.

Still I would have liked upscaling to 720p and divx playback but it seems you can't have everything. They have to leave some features for possible future products... :rolleyes:

15. Hercules51

Hercules51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TUTU can you, or someone else, post the link to totaldigital. I cant seem to locate with my search engine.

cheers

Doh, I found it via the pricerunner link given above, It has a funny 'biz' suffix.

They dont seem to have very good write up on pricerunner, with most reviewers suggesting a con going on. What have everyone elses experiences been? I must admit Im pretty new to internet purchasing, and am still very wary.

cheers