1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which dvdr + hdd will record ntl and play

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by lee3272, Mar 3, 2005.

1. lee3272

lee3272

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    as above im after a dvdr + hdd which will record one channel on ntl while i watch another channel on ntl not quite sure if theres a machine out there which will do it
    cheers

2. Tarsh

Tarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's the same as Telewest this is not possible.

There is only one receiver in the Cable decoder, so the channel it puts out is the only one which can be recorded and/or watched.

I have bought a Freeview box so I can watch something else while recording from Telewest. Limited channels of course but better than nothing. You could in fact use any other tuner to watch, except the one built into the DVDR. Do you have a normal TV? If so you can watch the normal terrestrial channels via it's receiver.

An alternative is multiroom, do NTL offer this? Sky charge £10/mth, Telewest £15/mth.

Also of interest for Telewest is they are bringing out a 3 channel recorder later this year, so you can record 2 channels and watch a 3rd. I think I saw that NTL may do this also, but you would need to check.

3. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could only do this with a second STB.

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't need a second STB to watch multiple channels.
    Sky+ already offers dual record,as do the Freeview HDD recorders from Fusion and Thomson,and Telewest have already announced the first PVR with 3 tuners to allow you to watch a channel and record 2 others at the same time.What Telewest bring today,NTL won't be far behind.
    The only time you will ever need a 2nd STB will be for extra tv's around the house