which dvd?

orac v zen

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all iv got a samsung ps42 q97hdx ,now im looking at a dvd player
What do i really need for it to have?
Would like a sammy/tosh/phillips but any will do (prev in black).cheap as possible upto £60.00/£70.00
I know i need hdmi,iv got a cheapo goodmans surround sound amp 5.1 its ok for the mo,watch dvds,home made videos and jep photo/pics of my family.some mp3 stories.

1) Do i need prog scan?
2) Divx?
3) Usb & dvi port on front?
4)Do i need it to upscale?
5) Anything else?
hope you can help?
Iv looked at the toshs 370es about £50.looking at asda/tesco/john lewis (2yrs gaurantee).
many thanks cheers:thumbsup:

Hi all iv got a samsung ps42 q97hdx ,now im looking at a dvd player
What do i really need for it to have?
Would like a sammy/tosh/phillips but any will do (prev in black).cheap as possible upto £60.00/£70.00
I know i need hdmi,iv got a cheapo goodmans surround sound amp 5.1 its ok for the mo,watch dvds,home made videos and jep photo/pics of my family.some mp3 stories.

1) Do i need prog scan?
If your screen accepts it why not?
2) Divx?
Are you asking if you need Divx or can you get it at your price range? Only you know if you need it and yes you can get it in your price range.
3) Usb & dvi port on front?
Again are you asking if you need USB or can you get it at your price range? I guess USB can be handy if the player supports an USB HDD but you can put files on a DVD-RW or CD-RW just as easily. Don't know about DVI, why would you need it if you have HDMI?
4)Do i need it to upscale?
The million dollar question, will a cheap DVD player upscale better than your screen? You will only know if you try.

I just bought a new player and it upscales, not because that is what I was looking for but because I wanted HDMI and either a Denon or Pioneer and these players have upscaling. Couldn't find any HDMI SD players that didn't upscale. Does my DVD player upscale better than my screen? ...Don't know my HDMI cable won't be here until tomorrow. I did quickly compare S-Video with Component and I couldn't see any significantly noticeable difference (but then I am not anal about small differences in picture quality)

Originally I was going to go for a cheaper model between £50 and £100 but things never go how you plan :rolleyes:

The players in the £50 - £100 range I was looking at were

Denon DVD1740 £100 from Richer Sounds (multi region out of the box)
Pioneer DV400 £99 from Richer Sounds (multi region out of the box)
Sony DVP-NS78 £50 from Amazon (Retails between £75 - £100 everywhere else. Region 2 but hackable with an all4one remote)

All have HDMI
All play Divx
All upscale to 1080p

I went for the more expensive midrange Denon DVD1940 because I knew I would always be thinking this would be better than the cheaper players. Also I will upgrading my receiver toward the middle of the year (my 5 year old Marantz SR6200 coupled with a Roksan Kandy Mk2 for the fronts, sounds good but its time to update and get a one box solution) so I wanted something that would do it justice. I will also not be getting into the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray market for some time, or at least until the 'format skirmish' has settled down and the price of the HD players comes down and the region coding hacks for SD playback are much more common, so this Denon player will probably have to meet my needs for some time.

Do a search on this forum for the models you are interested in and I'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

Couldn't find any HDMI SD players that didn't upscale.
Linn Unidisk 1.1, a snip at £6k ;D

Rather, that doesn't have any upscaling options. Anything will still output at 576p along HDMI quite happily.

Prog Scan
Not if you are going to use the superior HDMI connection.

Divx
Nice if you download programs over the internet. I wouldnt bother on a cheap player though. I have DK DIVX player that tends to be jerky and a Yamada media center that often goes out of sync and needs to be paused and unpaused. My new Denon 1940 however works perfectly.

USB
Handy for playing music or Divx and saves having to copy the data onto DVD+-RW. Nice to have but I would not compromise any other feature for it.

DVI
Cant think why you would want this on the front. Perhaps you mean DV as in DV Link? This is for connecting digital camcorders but you will only get this on dvd recorders.

Upscaling
The TV will do this anyway but it depends if the DVD player does it better than the TV.

Well thanks alot ,cheers yes i mean dv link from camara/camcorders (so do i need a recorder:suicide:)
dix dont use but maybe in the futer as with usb to
why not prog scan i always thought it was good?
upscaling we iv no idea what my tv does :suicide: iv never understood it :D what i ment to say was i really want a samsung (anynet thing), but looking at the tosh/phillps i see the tosh goes some problems so?,and i want to p/m john lewis if possible :devil:many thanks :hiya:

Prog scan was just a format for sending the video without any interlacing. It was designed to drive the projectors and plasma displays at the time.
Now modern tvs have a HDMi connector which supports non interlaced pictures but transfers everything digitally so is even better quality.

Yes if you want DV Link you will need a recorder. Recorders have limited editing facilities so you would be best buying a DV interface for a PC and using its editing software and write your own DVD.

Pioneer and Denon DVD players would also be well worth a look.

Ah i see no well thanks for the info and sorry about my spelling,:oops:
im really looking to keep the cost down at the mo (hammer my card at xmas g/f go mad:eek:) and i really want to go to j/l or richer sounds ,so what would reconmend then about £60 to £70 mark,

In that price range from those specific suppliers there are these online options (there may be more options instore)

Richer Sounds

Toshiba SD370 (DVD player - with HDMI) £49.95
Panasonic DVDS33 (Multi-Region DVD player) £59.95
Samsung DVDHD870 (Multi-Region DVD player - with HDMI) £59.95
Philips DVP5980 (Multi-Region DVD player - with HDMI) £69.95

John Lewis
(All Region 2)
Philips DVP5980 DVD Player £69.50
Sony DVP-NS36B DVD Player £59.50 (expensive since the DVPNS78 is £50 at Amazon)
Toshiba SD370E DVD Player £49.95

The Philips and Toshiba are common to both suppliers and your original post put these as your preferred manufacturers. Search the forums for Samsung DVDHD870, Philips DVP5980 and Toshiba SD370E and see what other users say. They will all have plus & minus points.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom