1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which DVD?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by figlio, Feb 7, 2003.

1. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I just bought a SIM2 projector.The projector accept NTSC progresive.I used to buy DVD Region 2.The dealer from where I bought the projector told me that is better to buy Region 1 DVD becouse of the NTSC prog.I heard that there is DVD prayer like the PHILIPS 963s that transform the PAL to NTSC and you have pal prog.In that case can I still buy Region 2 DVD`S.

Best Regards,
    Robert

2. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which Sim2 projector model do you own? I've checked and I'm pretty sure that most of them support NTSC prog. scan. I can't seem to find any mention of 525P support although their projectors should be able to handle anything upto 1080i

If it's one of the more recent models that includes a DCDI module then it will automatically deinterlace any signal that's sent to the projector, whether it's from a R2 or R1 disc.

Sometimes it's better to have onboard PAL prog. scan as the PQ might be just that wee bit better. Not by a great margin, granted but it all depends on the kit you're using.

If it has a DCDI module then you should be able to watch anything in a de-interlaced format. I'm not sure if Philips DVD players with prog. scan can do what you're asking.

Hope this answers your questions.:)

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah that Philips DVD player you mention supports PAL progressive by converting it to an NTSC signal. So if you were to buy the Philips DVD963SA then you'd be able to carry on buying Region 2 DVDs.

4. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! I wasn't aware that the Philips model mentioned could do that. You learn something new everyday don't you?:)

5. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for your help.

I am asking another question.Is it true that Region 1 DVD have better sound than Region 2 DVD?

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sort of, it is true that quite a few Region 1 DVDs have DTS soundtracks whereas the same DVD in Region 2 would just have Dolby Digital. Since DTS is widely regarded as better than dolby digital - that means you're half right.

7. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was told that since the video on R1 discs takes up less space then there's more room for the audio. Anyway aren't R1 DTS soundtracks meant to have a higher bitrate for audio?