Which DVD?????

mark.king

Standard Member
Reaction score
Trying to find a DVD player is starting to get me down. I recently bought a a good hi-fi system with a copland cd player which is excellant. The point being I need a DVD player but am not concerned about CD playback although I want movie sound to be good.

I initially looked at the Denon 3910 but the reports of not playing disks has put me off. I have had this sort of thing inthe past and it doesn't matter how good the machine is if it is not going to play anything that is thrown at it.

So where do I go from here? I would like a hdmi/dvi output but this would not be in use yet. At the moment I will use component out to my pw6 plasma and hdmi/dvi would be to a feed a projector in the future.

What models are reliable then with component out (I don't want all the effort and expense been on the hdmi/dvi side). All I can think of in my price range or at leadt what I am willing to spend is the pioneer (forgot model) and maybe the arcam. Is there anything else out there or do I sit and wait. What about the models below like the denon 2910?

Any help as I am totaly confused now with all the bad reports machines keep getting

I'm trialling a 2910 just now with my pwd7 and it's played everything I have put in there so far...region 1, region 2, dvd-r recorded on the e55, cd, mp3.....fantastic piece of kit as far as I'm concerned.......

I just got a 2910 last week and I'm finding it absolutely amazing! Like you would be doing, I'm running it through a PW6 plasma and I've never seen discs look better.

Well worth the money in my opinion!

I agree, i'm definitely going to keep it......and its future proof too for when i go to a HD screen

So are you both running a certain firmware? Still find all the reports confusing. Had any problems with older disks etc? Cheers

When mine arrived it came with firmware v4, there was a problem with this and progressive scan, but one quick firmware update later (to v.8) everything is solved and its a beautiful player.

I've been going through my collection and hadnt had a single problem yet - thats testing with both older and new discs!

If for any reason you do go ahead and purchase one and it comes with V4 software, I can send you a disc with the latest f/w on it, no probs.

where do you check the firmware....haven't got round to that yet?

I got a 2910 a couple of weeks ago. Great player. I received it multi region out of the box with v4 firmware. Updated to v8 without any problems. Check the Denon owners forum for details of the latest firmware and how to check/update yours.

Remove any discs from the unit.

To check the frmware turn off the player, not standby.

Hold on the front panel Play and Open/Close.

When Loading appears you should see the play and pause icons on the front panel. At which point release the buttons.

Then on the remote press Menu, 3, 2, 6, 5, Menu.

You should then see ESS ????-?

The last digit is the important one. If it is less then 8 check with your dealer."

thanks chaps..well this one has a 4 at the end but it's only the trial one I have here they have ordered a new one from Denon for me...be interesting to try the upgrade anyway though

If I go for this I will come back here to see what the latest version is. Can this be downloaded from this site or are there links rather than sending it. Cheers

i have sonic deluxe as my burning software but it doesn't seem to give option to burn as ISO9660...any thoughts mate?

wonuld not worry about the 3910 not playing discs i have had mine 6 weeks and it plays everything i have tried
also the 3910 sound better than the 2910
it does sound very good not as good as the naim cd player i had but still very good

well i guess it should for another few hundred of your earth pounds

Hi I'm just using this thread as opposed to making a new one when it's a similar issue.

All I want to know is if I should be upgrading my DVD player. I have an aging Pioneer 717 and I just wanted to know if I would get any significant improvement in PQ/Sound if I was to buy a newer model.

Thanks in advance

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom