1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD Writer

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dolph, Aug 26, 2003.

1. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Going to buy a DVD writer but can't decide between two -

there's the NEC ND-1300A +/- writer which writes both formats but may or may not have trouble with some cheaper media (although improved firmware versions are now available).

Or there's the TEAC DVW50E (a TEAC badged Pioneer 105), write -R/-RW only but I know loads of people have these and get on well with them. Also very well supported for updated firmware.

Any help appreciated.

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Another quick question for those in the know - what is the difference between RPC-1 and RPC-2? I have also seen RPC-2 (auto-reset) firmware. A precis on each would be appreciated.

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    As far as I know RCP1 and RCP 2 are types of DVD region locking used on DVD drives. RCP1 is the earlier version, and the easiest to break with programmes like DVD Genie, or a firmware upgrade. RCP2 is a newer version that some software DVD region breakers cannot bypass. My drive is RCP2, but I find that DVD Region Free does a great job of breaking the region coding. Again, with a suitable firware upgrade, RCP2 can be disabled permanently.

WRT to auto reset firmware, a DVD drive will normaly allow 5 region changes from its firmware before it is region locked for good. A firmware that is auto reseting will let you manualy change the region an unlimited number of times.

Rob

4. cablejunkie

cablejunkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about one of these little beauties the ultimate answer to everyones which format do I go for question. Currently selling at only £108+VAT & delivery from www.dabs.com A bit of a bargain me thinks. :)