1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD writer for my computer?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by matrixsc, Mar 3, 2003.

1. matrixsc

matrixsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi guys i'm thinking of getting a dvd write for my bday.I'm not sure which one to go for was wonderng if anyone here has any advice?.I want it to play films in my home dvd player aswell sony 725.The sony i thought was good for the fact you can use either DVD -R or DVD +R.
    I've had a back up from someone who uses the Pioneer and it played on my player at home fine.

Was looking at either the:-
    Sony DRU-500A
    Or
    Pioneer DVR-A05

Sony info :-
    Sony takes the risk out of buying a DVD recorder by bringing all the popular formats into a single drive. The DRU-500A burns DVD-R/-RW, DVD+RW/+R, and even CD-R/CD-RW disks. Internal EIDE drive includes an impressive, industry standard software bundle and is compatible with Windows 98SE/2000, Windows ME and Windows XP operating systems. DVD+RW and DVD-RW disks recorded on this drive may not play back on some older or entry-level DVD systems. The write-once DVD+R or DVD-R disks are more compatible for interchange with other DVD systems. Please record responsibly. Before copying anything onto a CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW, please be sure you are not violating copyright laws.

Pioneer Info :-
    Pioneer's DVR-A05 drive doubles writing performance across the board with 4X DVD-R, 2X DVD-RW, 16X CD-R and 8X CD-RW capabilities. The new 4X DVD-R recording speed translates into approximately 15 minutes to fully record a high-speed 4.7 GB DVD-R disc. Using data writing software bundled with the drive, the DVR-A05 also offers two-minute quick formatting for DVD-RW data discs, and allows finished DVD-RW discs to be "unfinalized" for writing additional data files. A DVD authoring tool and DVD/CD data recording application are also included with the drive, as well as blank 4X DVD-R and 2X DVD-RW discs.

Any advice would be great.
    Thanks.

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I personally aren't too worried about this so-called format war.

IMHO it just dictates which blanks I buy, and some edit/session functionality not really that useful to a PC user using authoring software.

I've read the DVD+R and DVD-R writers both read the competing format discs so I don't really see a wrong choice either way.

I have Pioneer DVR-A04 and the DVD-R and DVD-RW DVD-Video discs I've burnt have all been read fine by my Sony 725 DVD player.

This is the preceeding 2x model, taking 30 minutes for DVD-R, but I normally like to burn a DVD-RW first taking hour, for checking on my domestic player and HTPC/projector before then copying on to a DVD-R blank, as there's always something I'm not happy with with noise reduction, inverse telecine, 16:9 flag, menu flow, etc.

Halving both these write times sounds the most useful feature to me.

I often burn files from other machines over the network and have noticed some things make the network/machines struggle at 2x (2600KB/sec-ish), so at 4x if you burn files from your network, expect buffer-underrun to have a work out and will probably lengthen that 15min expected burn time.

Q: bufferunderrun is a must-have feature in my mind, does the Sony have this?

regards,
    Rob.

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Rob

I've been considering a dvd writer for a while as well, can you tell me what media you use, is it anything special and have you had any trouble with any particular brands.

Cheers