Which DVD with HDMI - can't decide

M

myedsor

Ok folks I've got my new LCD TV with twin HDMI sockets and can't decide which of the following DVD player to buy, they all seem to have problems of such but which will give me the best result based on value for money.
1) Toshiba 350E to match my telly, 10 bit 27MHZ D/A converter.
2) Samsung DVD-HD850 10 bit 54MHZ
3) Phillips DVP5900 10 bit 54 MHZ

I want to play video using the HDMI input on my telly and not bothered about having 5.1 sound although most seem to have some form of a digital sound output. Does anyone have any experience on all three and which one gives the better picture. the Toshiba has a good review on What Home Cinema but I though the higher the bit rate the more detail to the picture so surely in theory the samsung or phillips should beat it?

Decisions decisions, someone put me out my misery!! Oh yeah I don't want to spend alot.

Cheers
Mark

kjt2004

Ok I havent got any of those you mention but i think all have their probs like most players out there

Do a search on these forums for each individual one

Tosh = not good through HDMI/DVI output but excellent through component
Samsung = Good throough HDMi but not component but has other issues
Philips = Other issues

As they say you pays ur money an makes ur choice:smashin:

neilmcl

kjt2004 said:
Ok I havent got any of those you mention but i think all have their probs like most players out there

Do a search on these forums for each individual one

Tosh = not good through HDMI/DVI output but excellent through component
Samsung = Good throough HDMi but not component but has other issues
Philips = Other issues

As they say you pays ur money an makes ur choice:smashin:
What "other issues" does the Philips supposed to have?

simon100

I have just purchased a Tosh 350E and a Tosh 32WLT58 and am extremely pleased with the picture that I am getting with the upscaling.

This might be the combination you are thinking of as I can't remember reading about any other range that has two HDMI apart from Toshiba.

I watched the Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, DVD yesterday and the picture was rock solid, very cinematic and all that I could have asked for. Upscaling to 1080i, via the HDMI cable, made a difference to my untrained eyes.

I am no expert, having just converted from a Sony 28 inch widescreen CRT, but as one contstantly reads in these forums, you have to make your decision based on your own real life experience and not always rely on expert reviews whose expectations are possbily somewhat unreal.

Having said that I chose to view the Tosh in the shop on the strength of the reviews on the net!

alan_t

myedsor said:
Ok folks I've got my new LCD TV with twin HDMI sockets and can't decide which of the following DVD player to buy, they all seem to have problems of such but which will give me the best result based on value for money.

I want to play video using the HDMI input on my telly and not bothered about having 5.1 sound although most seem to have some form of a digital sound output. Does anyone have any experience on all three and which one gives the better picture. the Toshiba has a good review on What Home Cinema but I though the higher the bit rate the more detail to the picture so surely in theory the samsung or phillips should beat it?

Decisions decisions, someone put me out my misery!! Oh yeah I don't want to spend alot.

Cheers
Mark

go for the philips m8.:thumbsup:

senu

Distinguished Member
Denon 1920 ( the cost has dropped enough to make it easily the best PQ for the money).

Seriously all on your shortlist have happy owners despite the "issues" reported. Any PQ difference in HDMI between the Samsung ,the Philips( same mpeg decoding chip) or Tosh is perhaps subjective .The Toshs Component output is better than its HDMI
Oh......... the Samsung is good thru component : any issues refer to ntsc/ pal switching, "hdmi not supported" message and its bright display.
Its PQ (though not as good as Denon ) is not at all worse by any measure of the cost difference.

Monk888

myedsor said:

Cheers
Mark

I thought the Toshiba 58 series LCD has a 12-Biit component display?
Well that's what I heard from the Dealer and Tosh custy service

alan_t

mikepaul said:
I thought the Toshiba 58 series LCD has a 12-Biit component display?
Well that's what I heard from the Dealer and Tosh custy service

lol...dude, he is refering to the tosh dvd player, not the lcd.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom