Quantcast

Which DVD to replace DV78

vistisen

Novice Member
I have up to now used an Arcam DV78 to provide pictures to a trusty old JVC 32 inch (and 25 tons) CRT tv.
But the picture is no now longer widescreen but warped screen :mad:
I have just bought a Panasonic 42" full HD plasma (TH42PZ85) to replace it. My DV78 has no HDMI output.
I have a largish collection of DVD's and no immediate plans to replace them all on BLU Ray. The Panasonic can upscale to 1080. But I have read many places that DVD players do a better job of upscaling then screens do.

I love both the picture and sound fra my DV78, so what arcam DVD should I be looking at to replace it?

Is a DVD 135 enough, what extra would I get from a 137 or 139? I will not be using it for CD playback as I have a CD23T that hopefully will last me years!

t-roten

Novice Member
Get the DV135

It is a brilliant machine, and as you have no audio requirements this is the correct machine for you.

The DV 78 has component out. Have you tried this on your new TV? The picture quality is still very good from this - it might be sufficient

TR

Canti1982

I tried out the dv78 via component on my pioneer 428dxd and the results were fairly good. I have since bought a Dv139 and the difference is pretty noticable, but obviously at a price.

Tracking down a DV135 might be a little tricky and it does not output 1080p, just 1080i. How much difference this makes Im not sure, much would depend on how good your tv is at scaling/ processing the incomming signal.

Try out component and see what you think before spending a lot on a new player.

Da Philster

Is a DVD 135 enough, what extra would I get from a 137 or 139? I will not be using it for CD playback as I have a CD23T that hopefully will last me years!
Any reason why it has to be Arcam as you have the cd23T for all cds and other machines like,the denon 3910s have been going for a song of late,also for the outlay of a dv135(great player for its day) there are some quality bd players like the panasonic bd35 which has just been discontinued(so cheap deals are available under £200). This would then ensure the Panasonic can be sent the correct mapping data so no scalling required on board the set and you would have acces to 24 frames per second etc as trust me bd films are better via your panasonic set.

You have a great set up for audio so why not maximise your visual performance whilst keeping costs down as well.

Hope thats of use anyway.:)

Last edited:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Before going to all that expense, why not just run a SCART cable to the TV (as you used to do)? Just because you've "read many places that DVD players do a better job of upscaling then screens do" doesn't mean that it's true in your case, with your TV and within your budget. You've already stated that you "love both the picture and sound" from your DV78".

The money you save can be used to buy source media (DVD, CD) that all that kit is actually there to play, and which actually yields the real enjoyment.

vistisen

Novice Member
Thanks for all the advice so far. I will obviously try using the dvd 78, My main reason for asking here is that Arcam has just changed distributors in Denmark. In some ways a good thing as the old ones are still wanting over £2000 for an AVR350. But the new one is only importing the SOLOS. So I can not do what I would otherwise do and borrow a 137 and make the comparison. So unless anyone wants to buy a cheap Ryanair ticket and demonstrate their 137 :D I'm stuck with taking advice, I must admit the main reason for buying Arcam is that I have had nothing other than good experiences with them since the mid 80's when they were still called A&R Cambridge. Over 20 years that must make me a loyal customer.

Top Bottom