• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which DVD to demo sound & picture??

S

Suzie Q

I am going to demo a 42" Pioneer 428XD and Fujitsu 58 series next week. My son has recommended an Onkyo TX-SR875 to future proof the amp and, as for speakers, I haven't got a clue - perhaps Kefs 6000 or their five two series (we have an odd shaped room so perhaps 2 speakers would be easier). I have a budget of about £4500 give or take a little.

My question is can anyone recommend a particular scene from a DVD that would test both the sound and vision of various combinations. Any comment on the above items would also be useful.

Many thanks.

Andy.T

Lots of questions there and they could probably be answered better in different areas of the forums but I'll start you off. ;)

Lots of big blockbuster type films will no doubt impress, but it's also good to look at a quieter films, how clear is the dialogue and the score? If there is subtle ambience on the rear speakers, does it sound natural and not distracting. The best advice would be to take a film with a good soundtrack that you know really well.

Rear speakers are nice but it's true that in real, UK living rooms they don't always work well. I'm not up on the latest speakers and amps, others will no doubt chip in on them.

Excellent choice of Plasmas to demo though, they seem to be the leading ones at the moment. Do let us know how your demo goes and what you go for in the end.

Andy.T

Oh have a look at this thread for ideas of "demo DVDs".

S

Suzie Q

Many thanks, Andy.

The thread you recommended is great - I have got several of the suggested films so I will be able to take my pick.

Sorry about all the questions - getting too excited, I guess. I first started thinking about this in February and have been patiently waiting for the new Pioneer to come out.

I will definately let you know what I buy - thanks for your interest.

ijd

for testing sounds look out for a DVD called Aero by jean michell jarre,using the DTS soundtrack this will stretch the sound system to its limits, those who know it, know what i mean
as for picture something like master and commander (also good for sounds) the part in the film when they are sailing close to a fog bank will show up any dithering , but any fast action films.
But any way 5.1 sound at least

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom