1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which dvd suppiers correctly identify sound formats?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ajbird, Jun 25, 2002.

1. ajbird

ajbird
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can people suggest which retailers correcly identify the different sound formats used on dvds - most just use 5.1 to cover a wide range of sound - I am especially interested in identifying 6.1 format disks - take Phontom menace for example - I know it has a 6.1 track but few sites (none in fact that I have tried so far) actually point this out - makes me nervous buying given the difference between regions.

Just becuase regon 1 disk of something has a 6.1 track of some kind does this mean that a region 2 will have ????

for this reason I would like to know which suppiers clearly identify the sound formats.

cheers

andy

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think the problem is that the studios sometimes don't even know and omit this information on the cover or at least don' state it clearly enough so the supplier actually wouldn't know and has to rely on the label of the DVD.

Just becuase regon 1 disk of something has a 6.1 track of some kind does this mean that a region 2 will have ????

Nope, they can be totally different. And keep in mind there are differences between the R2 in Germany and the R2 in the UK, too.
    And to all other R2 countries of course (though they could be identical in some instances).

I just tried www.dvdempire.com for fun, they list the "Phantom Menace" correctly as Dolby Digital Ex 5.1 (6.1 would be DTS Es Discrete btw).

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of all the suppliers I've used, I've found futureent.com to be right the most amount of times (in terms of both sound and picture). As Reiner says, sometimes the packaging is incorrect (e.g. The Rock R2 is apparently DTS, but it is not listed as such on the packaging - see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40019). I've found that play.com and futureent.com tend to issue corrections to their web site data when they are aware of this; however, there will always be some errors slipping through unfortunately. In these cases, I have found that most reasonable suppliers have allowed me to return the disk for an exchange or refund.

It's always a good idea to check a number of sites, and use DVD comparison sites such as http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/