Which DVD/Scene for demoing LCD ?

Ray

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm getting a demo of the PT700 (1.07!) this week and need some suggestions for scenes that would show up any shortcomings. TBH I'm not sure what to look for! Is it black levels - therefore dark scenes ? Is it VB (hopefully not) - therefore light scenes ? What about action sequences - are these a problem with LCDs ?

Also getting a demo of a H57 dlp just to see the difference another £500 makes ! Any suggestions for DVDs to show up/show off this PJ.

Ray

For black levels, I use the opening race scene from 2 Fast 2 Furious, its set at night so is very dark, but has excellent colours as well

For VB, I'd suggest the opening scene from Star Wars, Attack of the Clones, where the silver ship comes through the clouds and lands. Lots of white cloud and smoke normally shows up VB a treat :)

Also take along some discs that you know have ropey transfers...for example:
Dr No
You Only Live Twice
Batman (Michael Keaton...also very dark)

And, if you can, take along a film that was made in black & white. This will show any colour inconsistencies that the PJ may have...ie red or green push.

UrbanT said:
For VB, I'd suggest the opening scene from Star Wars, Attack of the Clones, where the silver ship comes through the clouds and lands. Lots of white cloud and smoke normally shows up VB a treat :)

Yes, also Master and Commander is a notorious one, all that cannon smoke.

'King Arthur' was the worst on mine before I tweeked the stripe settings...PJ

the matrix reloaded is what i seen on my First PJ experience (AE500) its got a few bright scenes and VB showed up there. id stay away from taking any pixar/dreamworks animations imo as it may ermm knock the whole sense of the occasion as those films look good on anything.

2 others id recomend is I-robot + Master & command also as Family guy correctly stated take a dvd which you felt personally had the worst transfer and looksed bad. this will give you a feel of what it will look at its worst and when/if you get one home that film may be better because a) who may have better comonents and b) the PJ could be calibrated with use of Avia/DVE

The opening scenes from Van Helsing will test even the best projector.

Pete.

Lots of suggestions there guys, Cheers.

From the list I have Matrix Reloaded, I-Robot and Master & Commander. Will do some further shopping this week!

Good idea about the ropey transfer and b+w film Family Guy (2 good ideas actually). What's a good b+w film then (or is that another thread ? :rolleyes: )

What's happing in the opening of Van Helsing Capt? Is it a film worth spending £5.99 on ? (and what happened to your new name ?)

Keep the suggestions coming. What about the DLP ? Fast moving shots in any action movie suffice ?

Ray :thumbsup:

What's happing in the opening of Van Helsing Capt? Is it a film worth spending £5.99 on ? (and what happened to your new name ?)

The film starts in black and white and it is quite dark. A real test. For £5.99 watch it once and sell it on.

As for the name, just usually signing off as Pete so people know me as that :)

Pete.

I have the Universal Monster Legacy...so the fims on that are 70 odd years old and in black & white. If the PJ does a good job of dispalying those, your on a winner. You should be looking for blacks, whites & greys. Any other colours then the PJ has a problem. Not a do or die one. It will be able to be sorted with a little tweaking.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom