1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which dvd recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by siy, May 24, 2005.

1. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have gone through loads and loads of posts - but still cant decide what kinda dvd recorder to buy

I have sky 160+ (twice), so dont need a hard drive, basically just want to be able to record tv/films in a format that most machines can use, (and be able to view most formats - thats more important)

can someone save me the thinking - and just tell me which machine to buy!!!

(I am also moving house, and am about as stressed as I need to be!!)

2. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    The Panasonic range looks to be very good. If you don't want a HD then the Panny ES10 looks hard to beat at only £175. The Panny range can now record in DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R and DVD+R.
    I too am looking for a DVD recorder to partner SKy+ but have come to the conclusion that even with Sky+ I would still be better off getting a DVD recorder with HD. (e.g. Panasonic EH50 from approx £280.)

The reason for wanting HD is that I plan to use Sky+ copy facility to dump a large amount of stuff (e.g. multiple 1 hour progs at a time) over to the HD of the DVD recorder over night. Then the next day I could split the recordings into the separate programs (e.g. 2hrs per DVDR) title them properly and dump to DVD using high speed dub. Without a HD I'd be limited to copying no more than 2hrs at a time to DVD. (More than this per DVD and the quality falls too much for my liking.) The HD route also allows you to edit recordings (e.g. removing ads) before burning to disk. You can then maximise the recording quality by burning the edited program at the highest bitrate to fill the disk using the flexible record option.

Alternatively, I'm also considering Sony's new 710. It has 160Gb HD compared to the Pannys 80Gb and also has an iLink connection for recording from my camcorder (which the Panny does not). Compared to the Panny it cannot record in DVD-RAM but can record in DVD+RW and dual layer DVD+R.

Available here for £388:
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/88825/art/sony/dvd-writer-with-internal.html

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    If you haven't already read it, I recommend Rasczak's excellent guide:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/whichdvd.HTML
    It's not too stressful to read...

Short answer - if you don't care about editing (e.g. editing out adverts), then go for the Panasonic ES10.

If you want to make edited recordings that can play on most players, then you need to look at the HDD models like the Panasonic EH50, Toshiba XS34, etc.

Mark