1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GASJKH2, Nov 21, 2004.

1. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy a HD DVD recorder for Xmas.
    Pioneer 520/720, Toshiba XS32, Pansonic E85. Which is the best?
    Pioneer 720 is now on Unbeatable at £499 for a 160GB disk
    Anybody used these models, can comment?
    Am told XS32 is hard to set up, Pioneer are very easy, Panny easy also?

I have a DVD rom RAM reader but not writer on computer.
    Only writes to + or - format.
    :lease:

Any comments/experiences with these machines would be appreciated.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    If you plan to author your DVDs on your PC go for the Panasonic E85 without a doubt. The Panasonic are on their fifth generation of MPEG encoders and, accordingly, have the best recording picture quality - it can put upto 3hrs of full resolution footage on a DVD-R as opposed to 2hrs 20mins on the Pioneer/Toshiba. The fact your DVD-ROM can read DVD-RAM disks as well means there isn't really a reason not to go for a Panasonic in such a situation as well.

If you just want an 'all in one box' solution though and don't plan to use your PC then the Toshiba gives you more control over your DVD authoring options and thus would make an excellent choice. It is not hard to setup at all - it maybe takes time to discover some of it's more complex functions but that doesn't mean it should be ignored.

The Pioneer, whilst an excellent recorder, isn't to the same callibre as the Toshiba or Panasonic. It doesn't have as many tweaks/options as the former and can't match the recording quality of the latter. It also lacks component output which rules it out for mid to high end buyers.

Bottomline is you won't go wrong with any of the three recorders you list. I would choose the Panasonic if you plan to author on the PC or the Toshiba otherwise. I wouldn't get too concerned about HDD size: at SP mode you can get 36 hrs on a 80GB HDD - the more the better but some of the current HDD/DVDR have gone OTT (the 400GB of the Panasonic E500 for example).

3. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice, I am new to this but sounds like you know what you are talking about.

What software do I need to author on the PC - what size HD space on PC do I need etc?

Also does the Panny 85 read JPEG photos?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Consult the sticky thread on the subject.

HDD size is what you find manageable. Realistically you'll want to copy the project to the HDD (approx. 4.5GB) and then compile onto the HDD (another 4.5GB or upto 8.0GB if your authoring for a dual layer DVDR). So HDD size depends on how many projects you have on the go at once.

No - it doesn't read them - for that functionality look to the Toshiba or the more expensive Panasonic E95.

5. Lerche

Lerche
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the subject of editing or no editing! Does the Panasonic E95 do enough to enable editing out commercials in movies? Also, what is "New Direct Navigation? Thanks

6. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently the Tosh X32 edits out commercials, appears a really good machine judging by the comments on this forum.

Rasczak - I am a beginner but what does this mean from your thread below?
    Advice appreciated!

"If you plan to author your DVDs on your PC go for the Panasonic E85 without a doubt. The Panasonic are on their fifth generation of MPEG encoders and, accordingly, have the best recording picture quality - it can put upto 3hrs of full resolution footage on a DVD-R as opposed to 2hrs 20mins on the Pioneer/Toshiba. The fact your DVD-ROM can read DVD-RAM disks as well means there isn't really a reason not to go for a Panasonic in such a situation as well."

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Yes - the Panasonic E95 will allow you to edit out commercials - in fact it's editting abilities are for exactly that... The Toshiba and Pioneer are the same.

The user interface: I wouldn't worry about that. They (Panasonic/Toshiba/Pioneer) are all pretty good on that score.

What I was getting at is if you intend to create menus on your PC then the 'advantages' of the Toshiba with regard to custom menus (etc) are irrelevant and thus you might as well go for the machine that offers the all-round best picture quality: the Panasonic.

8. Lerche

Lerche
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak, I've made up my mind to go for the E95. Now of course, I can't wait for this little baby to arrive!