Which DVD recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thejudge, Sep 18, 2004.

1. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know much about DVD recorders and i need some help.

I want to be able to download from a Sky+ box to DVD and maybe also record on the fly from my Sky+ box and back up my vhs collection. I'm on a tight budget (£250) and from what i can gather DVD-RAM is the future(!).

Could anyone reccomend a DVD recorder with or without an HDD which will suit my needs?

Does any DVD recorder do + and - formats? This would be helpfull if i was to lend my mates the DVD's i've recorded. Hope this makes sense.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    DVD-RAM is the present, BluRay or HD-DVD is the future! Given that you want to lend your recordings to your friends though it is probably going to be best to avoid DVD-RAM machines though.

AT £250 a HDD/DVDR combo is outside your budget so you need to look at standalones.

The Sony GX3 (or it's imminent replacement the GX300) would be a good choice. They record to DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+RW and DVD+R and so any recordings you made would play on other DVD players.

Alternatively the Pioneer 220 would also be a good choice. It isn't multi-format like the Sony (only DVD-RW and DVD-R) but, given those are the most compatible DVDR formats anyway, that hardly matters! An advantage of the Pioneer is that it has 32 recording modes allowing you to pick the best mode for the length of the programme.

Either machine will allow you to archive from Sky or VHS and will do a good job.