Which DVD Recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mdawkins, Aug 18, 2004.

1. mdawkins

mdawkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at purchasing my first DVD recorder and would like some
    advice in choosing the right one! I would like to be able to copy to DVD
    from a camcorder using S/Video, from VHS and from SKY. I also need to
    find a player that is highly compatible with DVD-+R for playing 'backed up' DVD's.
    My budget is around £250 and I don't mind what make it is although
    it would be nice to have a Pioneer as this would match my current amplifier.

Thanks

Martin.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    The Pioneer 220 sounds as thought it might be for you. If your camcorder supports iLink you may want to consider the next model up: the Pioneer 320.

If you opt for non-Pioneer models other potentially good options would be:
    - Panasonic E55
    - Sony GX3
    - JVC DMR10

3. mdawkins

mdawkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Do any of the players you have mentioned play DVD-Audio discs in 5.1? or would have to increase my budget!! I also would like two Scart sockets that use RGB for good quality recordings and playback.

Thanks

Martin.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    No DVD Recorders play DVD-Audio in 5.1 I'm afraid. The Panasonic E500 (rrp £1000) will in October. The rest of the Panasonic range all play 2 channel DVD-Audio without any price premium though.

Out of the recorders I listed all have RGB input except the JVC. All of them have 2 Scart sockets and RGB Output.

5. mdawkins

mdawkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info,
    are any of them better for playing back DVD-+R discs? as I have copied most of my DVD's to - or +R discs so that the kids don't ruin the originals!! my current DVD player has problems playing films that are over 1hr 30mins! have you come across this problems before??

Martin.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
  7. mdawkins

mdawkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I need to consider whether the player supports DVD-RAM or not? the Pioneer supports DVD-R/RW no DVD-RAM and the Panasonic supports DVD-RAM and DVD-R but not -RW, so I am not sure which one is best!

Thanks

Martin.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    No that's not a big issue - what you need to consider is the features of each DVD recorder and whether it suits you. DVD-RAM does have a few physical benefits (i.e. cartridge protection should you have young kids/pets etc and longevity) but this is only one factor in the complex web of choosing the right DVD recorder.

9. kevincm

kevincm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been round the houses on DVD Recorders (the low end of the market), and I've finally wound up with a Panny E55.

Media is such a finky thing these days (esp with DVD+/-/RAM/DL wars... 6 standards for plastic and dye.. sheesh!).

Personally, I'd look at the recorders, and see if its contains features you need. I've gone from a Philips 880 (Don't get me started) to 2 LG 4810's (Bad subjects) to a Pany E55 in about 2 weeks. Each has their strengths and weakness. The reason I've settled on the Panny was the 8 hours record (which is useful for recording the olympics on atm)

Media: -R - As long as you stick to anything with a Ritek Dye (I use DataWrite YellowV2.. bargin basement, but Ritek based)... you should be fine. I've got some Infosmart based ones here... but the PC hates them :(
    -RW - Stick to named brand if you're going down the -RW route. Some drives are very picky on what they'll burn on.
    +R/+RW - Fewer dye options. Check with your local IT geek or blank DVD shop
    -RAM format - Most are produced by Panasonic or one of their agents so its should work. When i doubt buy one off and test it :)

Kevin