which dvd recorder???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by polsnulspace, Jan 4, 2004.

1. polsnulspace

polsnulspace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HEY ALL!!! NEED YOUR ADVICE.IM LOOKING TO BUY A DVD RECORDER FOR THE FIRST TIME.IM LOOKING TO SAVE MY UNREPLACIBLE OLD TV RECORDINGS (BEFORE THEY DISOLVE)AND TO KEEP SELECTED SKY+ RECORDINGS.WHAT WOULD BE BEST??
    ONE FROM THE PANASONIC RANGE(DVD RAM I BELIEVE)OR THE SONY RDRGX3??:hiya: :clap:

SONY VLP-HS10
    SONY STR VA555ES
    PIONEER DV-656A
    KEF 2005.1 - 6.1

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    as shy+ can output RGB and Svideo its kinda up to you mate.
    JVC-DM1 worth a look as very flexible ins and outs and disc compatibility.
    What sort of budget?
    PS Capitals are seen as shouting,
    PPS welcome to the forums

3. polsnulspace

polsnulspace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops!!! sorry about the shouting.didnt know! my budget is about £450 max. my main concern is to save as best as i can,my old tapes before they crumble and die

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    if you have an S-VHS deck then S-video if not limited to composite they wont look any better on DVD but should last loner if you use decent disks.
    E50 or JVC M1 would be fine or even a tosh or Sony i like the Ram timeslip etc but others are not so keen E50 is £250 JVC under £350.
    http://www.jvc.co.uk/product-list.php?id=18
    there 22 DVD recorder on price runnner under £450 so plenty of choice.

Might be worth buying a new VHS deck or at least getting yours cleaned serviced before archiving so you get the best image.

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can get a Tosh XS30 with a 60Gb HD for 480

if you are prepared to pay 450 the extra 30 is well worth it

6. polsnulspace

polsnulspace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there any advantage in getting the tosh with the HD? is this better for editing stuff??
    i dont have a s-vhs,as asked earlier.im dont really want to buy another video recorder.hense the dvd-r purchase.
    im looking to get rid of all my tapes in the end.....but i must save whats on them...thats my first concern.
    will the tosh let me do this????:confused:

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    the HHD will give you more editing facility and allow you to collate recordings from VHS and Sky+ before burning EG episodes of a series or films in a series.And should let you remove ads from Sky+ etc
    Not to sure on the full capabilities of the TOsh but this can all be done the panny HS2

8. polsnulspace

polsnulspace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: thanx guyz!! you've been a big help.im away now to search for a bargain......cya!!:hiya:

9. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have a look on this forum for my thread on the tosh lots of info there

if you can stretch to it definitely go for the HD version

as you have sky+ personally I would advise the tosh as it is a better machine than the HS2 IMO

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from adding thumbnails on dvd-r,what is better on the Tosh.There is no RGB input-you cannot record direct to dvd if you want to copy a movie or something that requires no editing,and the high speed dubbing is of limited use for material that needs a lot of editing beforehand.
    If I was to change I would go for the Pioneer,love the sound of the "backup" function.

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you are wrong about the limited use of high speed dubbing I've replied in another thread on that issue. I doubt you would ever record to the HDD in XP you would always record at the required rate meaning you can also fit far more on the HDD.

The Tosh has many advantages over the HS2

I will list again for you some Pros / cons

Pros

Cheaper £483 inc delivery

Bigger HDD 60Gb rather than 40Gb

Only encode the data once, burnt -R are a perfect digital copy of what is on the HDD

regardless of rgb it produces much better PQ on recordings over 2hrs. The difference increases with the recording length. The difference at EP is huge. (trust me on this I have tested this using the same disc, same prog)

High Speed Dubbing HDD to -R (you can dub over 6hrs in under an hour) HDD to and from RAM is very fast

Better/Easier editing faclilities (once nice feature is that you can add chapter points whilst watching the recording live or from the HDD not from a menu)

Create far better menus with Thumbnails for titles, different colours etc. Each title has its own chapter pages each chapter has a thumbnial. (you have complete freedom of where to put in chapter marks or let it do it automatically in a variety of ways)

Better looking IMO

It has a very useful sat mon button which switches from the Tosh to Sky allowing an RGB pass through when you want to watch sky (you can select this even if it recording terrestrial, burning a -R etc, the HS2 requires a second connection to do this)
    You can put different bit rate recordings from the HDD onto -R still at high speed

You can assign the widescreen flag to burnt -R

much better stand alone dvd player

Cons

No RGB in

Recordings of NTSC (R1) signals produce a quirky widescreen feature (the two black horizontal bars on a 2.35:1 image are replace with one horizontal bar at the bottom. The total height of the bars remains unaltered)

Bigger in depth

no i link

(it seems a MR version is now available)

Don't get me wrong Phelings there is not much point changing the HS2 for the Tosh

From what I have read the Poineer is a better machine than the tosh but it is worth 150 more!

The Tosh does a few things the Pioneer can not but the Pioneer's main advantages are

firewire
    highspeed digital copy of -r to the HDD
    rw rather than ram (is this an advantage)
    no ntsc issue

are those worth 150, not to me, but it could be to others

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is impossible to record to -R from the HD without doing it at highpeed

highspeed is not at option it is how it records to -r

13. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds unlikely.What if you have an XP recording on HDD and want to transfer to DVD at FR or SP?AFAIK it cannot rate convert.
    The Tosh sounds good but if I transfer 6 unedited episodes of Frasier from Sky+ to HDD,how do I know what rate to set the recording at.I won't know the running time of the final edit.This is one reason I have not gone over to a high speed machine.
    Sometimes I will put 9 hours on the HDD and edit out as much as 5 for transfer to dvd-this is another way that HS dub is no good for me.

14. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can do a rate convert dub of any selected titles on the HD (basically digitally re-encodes to the correct bit rate) This would only need to be done if you have gone slightly over what would fit on a -r

you don't select the recording rate when burning a -r it simply makes a direct copy of what is on the HDD

you would never really record anything to the HD in XP unless you wanted to put it to -r at this rate

for 6 episodes of fraiser it is simple

each episode is between 21-22 minutes edited

so 6 episodes 132min to be safe. 132 minutes would fill a -r at a bit rate of 4.2

so you record the entire unedited episodes from sky+ at this rate to the HD. Edit out the ads. Burn to -r. Simple, quick and easy.

You would copy overnight from sky+ to HDD. Editing would take 10-15 minutes. A high speed dub for 6 episodes would be around 50 minutes

so your burnt -r would be done in just over 1 hour

Only prob if copying overnight from sky+ you can only do a one rate. So you would only really copy to the HD your material for 1 disc.

However since you can fit so much on to the HD it is not really an issue as sky+ planner never gets that full now

15. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another advantage is that the Tosh has more options on the record quality of the audio

remember because the tosh makes a digital copy from the HDD to -r it makes use of every bit of space on the -r . You would have to be way out with your estimate to go over the spare needed to be left on the -r from the panny

16. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the rate convert dub is done in real time Right?If so,your comment about only high speed is incorrect.Please clarify

17. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the bit rate dub is done in real time yes

my point is you would never need to do this. It would only be in an emmergency.

If so you would only rate dub 1 episode

so back to fraiser

lets say one episode goes nuts and is 5 min longer

so now we have 137 which is a tiny bit too much to fit onto 1 -r with the bit rate recording of 4.2 on the HD recording

so you would only rate dub 1 episode which would take 22mins from 4.2 to 4 would prob do the trick in this example

then do your high speed dub

you don't seem to be taking the point that you wouldn't ever really have to do this

you gain absolutely nothing in recording to the hd in xp it is completely pointless

18. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But you are missing the point that although your way is best,actually knowing what the exact running time of a final edit is unlikely to be so.
    I have had times when Frasier episodes(usually a 1 hour story chopped in2 by Paramount) runs over.I would not know this and therefore would be totally ****** off when my finished disc was incomplete.Give me an example,other than series tv,where you would know the exact running time of something that needed editing.

19. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    films - you could easily find out the running time ??

I only use the tosh to archive tv though from sky+ other than camcorder what else is there?

us drama are all 39-41 min except HBO

a very crude way would be to note the start time and end time on sky+ ff at X30 noting down how many adds then wipe off 3min per ad break. I did say crude!

your fraiser example (imcomplete -r) could not happen with the tosh you select what titles from the HDD you want to burn

as you add the titles it gives you a bar recording the space available on the -r (similar to sky+) which fills up as you add titles

so you can not put 6 episodes on and have it wipe the end. You would know beforehand it isn't going to fit. Thus you would have to re-encode 1 episode on a rate dub