Which DVD recorder with HD, around £300

iMan

Ex Member
Reaction score
My VHS finally packed up the other day so we decided to replace it with a DVD recorder.

I have up to around £300 to spend and I think I want to get one with a built in hard drive as well as recordable DVDs. Am I right in assuming that you can record to the HD, then if you like, later you can move the programme from the HD and burn it to a DVD all within the player? is this the only advantage of having an internal HD?

So can anyone recommend any good makes/models and where to buy.

Thanks a million guys.

I bought the Sony RDR-HX510 from Dixons (via the internet) for £296 inc. delivery using a £25 off code via pricerunner.com. It has an 80GB hard drive and records both plus and minus formats. I've been really pleased with mine so far.

Am I right in assuming that you can record to the HD, then if you like, later you can move the programme from the HD and burn it to a DVD all within the player? is this the only advantage of having an internal HD?

Yup. But there's also no more "quick, quick, get a tape [DVD]" moments! :D

I like my Tosh XS34. 160 GB HDD. about £300 online (if you can find one!)

I used to have a Panasonic HS-2 . It was then £800 with a mere 40 Gig HD. It only recorded to DVD-R and DVD-RAM but was very versatile .It took composite, s-video and firewire.
3 months out of warrantee it had a fault ( The HD due to recent lack of use I was told) and I was quoted £250 + vat for repairs.. That was that.. I GAVE UP!!
That is a tale of woe.
In reality I found it very useful versatile and easy to master. I recorded from vhs, minidv, digital 8 ,and thru Scart RGB from Sky Digibox. The quality at highest setting was indistinguishable from original both on dvd (esp ram,) and from the HDD.
The conveniece of a built in hard drive is such that I would not consider buying another dvd recorder without one. You can watch your stuff from the hard drive and erase it after a few times of watching, if you want to archive it to disc or dont feel it worth preserving.
You can rearrange clips and do some minor editing (ie remove embarrrasing bits) before commiting to DVD.
The Panasonics have something called time shift where you can record say a football match on timer if not at home then begin to watch it from the begining if you get in while the actual match is still going on the machine will continue to record the end bits. Or if you are recording a drama and phone call or other disruption occurs, You can pick up from where you left of while the program continue to record in real time. :clever stuff I believe SkyPlus has it
The Sonys, Panasonics and Pioneers are a safe bet even if they are a bit pricey.
I have seen and am considering a Tevion ( ALDI brand) which only records to DVD+R but has a 160G HDD for only £229. I like the price but cannot confirm the quality I do have a rather nice Tevion branded portable dvd player though
The reviews appaer to be wary of Phillips Im not too sure why.

Yup. But there's also no more "quick, quick, get a tape [DVD]" moments!

True and Yes Toshibas are also a good bet.
However you can get a
" Damn... the hard drive is full up" .. Moment

Seriously .. very very unlikely with a big Hdd like the 160 unless you like hoarding your recordings!!!

When I opened a thread asking the same question last week, a lot of people recommended the panasonic DMREH50, or if your budget will stretch to £400 then the newer DMREH60 with 200GB HD.

No more 'Hard Drive is full moments' with the EH60 me thinks! :rotfl:

Thanks for that guys, I'll look at the Sony range with built in HDD, perhaps the RDR-HX510.

Thanks again.

My view is that an 80GB HD is too small. My XS34 is almost always half full. I just can't deal with stuff quickly enough. If I had gone for the 510, I would be having major problems with disc full messages. If you like the Sony, go for the ones with bigger HDs than the 510. On the other hand you might be better organised than me.

Yeah i think it's safe to day that really the 2 contenders at the moment are the

Panny Eh50 or 60

and the Toshiba XS34

There's plenty of info in here to help make your mind up!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom