Which DVD recorder with audio dub?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andyfr, Dec 12, 2004.

1. andyfr

andyfr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A friend of mine who does a lot of camcorder stuff is looking to buy a DVD recorder. One requirement is that he needs to be able to dub audio onto a recording. I have a Panasonic E50 but I don't think that does it. Anyone any ideas which would be suitable? :lease:

2. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK, there are no standalone DVD recorders that allows you to dub audio to a recording.

If you are recording from a camcorder, there are two ways you can do it:

- via firewire, wich means digital conversion from AVI to MPEG2. There is no way you can add an external audio source during this.

- via s-video, wich means digital (AVI) to analoge conversion and back to digital (MPEG2) - there is a small picture quality loss; in this case you can use the DVD recorder RCA plugs (Left & Right) to connect to an external audio source and in fact you will be recording the video from the camcorder and the audio from an external source. I've done this myself some times.

There are also some camcorders that allows you to add external audio directly on the tape that you have recorded. In my own (Sony DCR-PC330) I can define to have 2 stereo channels, and i can dub external audio to the second channel. Then I can copy it all to my DVD recorder using firewire, selecting if I want the sound only from channel 1, from channel 2, or from a mix of both.

There is also the PC route, where you can do pretty much what you want, but in that case I can't help you.

Hope that helps.

3. andyfr

andyfr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that. I did wonder how it would be possible without using a PC. Although I could steer him that route I would end up supporting it. :nono: