Which DVD recorder will fit my needs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TangentKid, Nov 28, 2004.

1. TangentKid

TangentKid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies in advance for such a long-winded first post!

Background:
    I want to replace my current DVD player and would also like to be able to archive shows from my Sky+ box. I've read many reviews of players and it would seem that many cheap (£100 or so) players are now really pretty good. The thing is I'd like to reduce the clutter in my AV rack and get just a single unit for both playback and record. Reviews of recorders often say that they're not that good for playback?? To that end I'm considering the Sony RDR-HX900 or the Panasonic DMR-E85. My top budget is approx £500 but will happily spend less!

Questions:
    I'm considering HD products as I assume that this will make it easier to cut adverts out prior to burning DVDs - is this correct?
    Am I correct that there are no products available that accept the 5.1 audio output from the Sky+ box to record 5.1 audio?
    The output from the Sky box is RGB which either unit will accept (?) but will either of them output component to feed thru my amp into the TV?
    Is the Widescreen switching signal (SCART pin 8) retained when recording onto DVD? I always have my TV set to switch on this signal.
    Does anyone think I'm looking at the wrong kit and have better suggestions?

I hope that this isn't too much info for one post!
    Thanks.

2. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Use the search function at the top and look for my name. I started a similar thread and ended up dismissing the Sony and went for a Pioneer 420 which I bought on friday from Richer Sounds. Do a search for the Sony RDR-HX900 and you'll see what I mean. For starters it doesn't do simple editing.

3. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh God! Don't get me started!!

Three times I've been on the verge of buying the Panasonic E55 over the weekend, because it does just about everything | want/need. (I also have sky + and will mainly be wanting to bang stuff onto dvd. )

Adverts bother me a bit, but when I have one hard drive, I can't justify to myself the thought of spending so much money on another, just to take away adverts.

But the biggest thing that nags away at me, is playback!

My recorder will be taking place of my player (and my cd player) so it has to be right.

If I bought a recorder that didn't play back as well as my current (pioneer) I'd be absolutely gutted!!

HELP!

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Not knowing your current player, it's hard to know what to say!
    If I had to guess, I'd say the liklihood of the DVR NOT being as good as your current player is extremely remote.
    DVDs are not compromised on playback as far as I am aware, so get whichever DVDR that floats your boat and don't fret about it.

5. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ah! You say that, but I like my dark and moody films, and my daughter loves her pixar collection.
    Both of which I should think would show off the worst of an inferior player

for info Mine is the pioneer 444

An old dog, but it stands up to "seven" which is my benchmark for coping with the kind of film I watch

not a glitch

6. TangentKid

TangentKid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dmpoole:
    Thanks for the info . I did the search for the sony and spent the last couple of hours hour reading the 'SONY HX900 / HX1000 - "Home Cinema" and "What Video and TV"' thread! As I'm playing out from Sky+ my requirements almost exactly match rogerh's i.e. I can split long recordings when dubbing from Sky+ to HX although I imagine that I will rarely make recordings of > 60 minutes anyway.

The thread did make me realise that I don't really need a HD based box as it would appear that I can archive directly to DVD and still edit out the adverts with some units - am I correct? If that's the case I suppose my new question would be which non-HD box is a good player as well as recorder.

morgs:
    Exactly the same boat mate!

pjskel:
    My current player is a dodgy old Thomson thing. I'm sure that no matter what I get will be better than that but, as I'm also upgrading my screen to a plasma and my speakers, I thought that I should get the best source I can afford. I too wonder how different DVD players can be but the magazine reviews all seem to suggest that there is a world of difference between them....?

7. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    A lot of people will jump on my back but I've had no trouble with the Philips DVDR70 and 75 that I've had for about two years. The beauty od DVD+RW is that as soon as you record on the disk it is finalised to play in another player. With the new Pioneer I've bought you have to finalise a DVD-RW to play in another player which is a pain.

Before the Philips I had a Panasonic E50 and the picture of the E50 and my new Pioneer 420 are nowhere near as good as the Philips on the lower quality settings.

8. TangentKid

TangentKid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would you rate the picture, audio and CD playback quality on the DVDR75 for bought DVDs (as opposed to home recorded ones) ?

9. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree tangentkid!

That's the most important question for me (and possibly us!) when leaping into the recorder market.

Is my playback going to be better/worse/same as a reasonably modern dvd player.

Does the panny E55 and tangentkid's choice (sorry, can't remember what it was) have good playback, or just good for a recordable?

sorry for highjacking your thread Tangentkid, but this is the one thing stopping me from ordering today!

Morgs

10. TangentKid

TangentKid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My original choice was the Sony RDR-HX900. For what it's worth What HiFi gives it glowing a glowing review for playback - something like 'as good a many £500 players'.

I'm now considering waiting for a while since seeing threads on a Philips unit (sorry can't remember model #) due out sometime soon (?) which can also record 5.1 Dolby Digital. This was one of my requirements and original questions. Amazon UK are already advertising it with a price of £299 even though it's not yet available.

11. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My original choice was a Sony RDR-HX900 but after reading the horror reports on these forums I'm glad I didn't have it. I've now got the Pioneer 420 and I'm 80% happy with it. Theres a couple of little niggles I have.

I can remember the original reviews of the Philips DVDR70 and 75 and they gave it high praise on its playback.