1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD Recorder to Go For?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rowbos, Jul 14, 2003.

1. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dilema!

I want to buy a DVD recorder now, fancy a Panasonic as I like the reliability of the make etc from past experience, did not want to spend £600 - so I am considering the 50EBS.

The question is, is it worth the extra £300 or so - double the price - to get a hd integrated - HS2?

Currently I do not even have a VCR in the lounge, so any recording device will be a vast improvement!

How flexible is the DVD-RAM format, can I use a DVD-R, delete bits/edit etc before finalising - or is it set in stone as soon as its written?

Just a bit of advice would be great...Should I buy a 50EBS now - or wait until the price of something like a HS2 comes down?

It does occur that if I buy a 50EBS now, and afterwards decide that I would really like a HS2 that I could buy a HS2 as well in say 12 months with the combined price only adding up to the price of a 50EBS today - or close anyway?

Cheers,

Steve.

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't delay, buy the HS2 now! You won't regret it.

If you buy the 50EBS you can edit the DVD-RAM disk contents but not the DVD-R. So you need an additional DVD player that will play back the Ram disks in order to transfer to DVD-R. You don't need any DVD_RAM disks with the HS2 as the hard drive is basically a 40Gb DVD-RAM disk! Record everything in the highest quality mode, edit till your hearts content, create chapters and change the menuu background etc etc. When you are happy just dub it to DVD-R with the quality set at FR and bobs yer uncle!

DaveP

3. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As food for thouight for ypu. I chose to buy two DVD recorders the E20 and E30 and a stock of the cheap caddyless RAM discs.

Store stuff to RAM and edit and transfer to DVD-R at my own leasure. Don't have to worry about a hard disc filling up crashing out on me.

In all honest though if the HD/DVD recorders had been as cheap when I bought my two machines I may have chosen the hard drive rout. But then again I may not have......:laugh:

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    But you are limited to one hour at a time in best quality without changing media, which you can't do when you are out. You can do 7 hours on the hard drive = 3 films and a couple of other progs at lower quality if neccesary until you archive or delete after viewing.
    You also dont have the space on a -ram disc to do the best trick at good quality, which is to set up an evenings viewing in advance, record it all and start watching a little later missing out all the ads. ie if from sattelite, start viewing 15 mins later for each hour recorded and it will still finish at the same time. Use the time saved to do something more useful, or even view something else on bbc without ads!

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    kenfowler3966. Yes you are right in the things you have pointed out. That is if ones needs are as you describe. In my case it is not. I am not a great collector of "Films" The stuff I collect is usually 1 hour or less in duration so my set up suits my particular needs.

As I said before had the HD machines been cheaper when I made my decisions I would have given the HD option very serious thought indeed. But don't forget I have two tuners. The hard drive has one. This is of great benefit at times,for me at any rate.

6. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am going to go for the 50EBS as I cannot justify the extra cost for the HD version at this time. I can always add another DVD-RAM recorder or just buy a HD version next year when prices drop further anyway.

Thanks for your input.

Steve.