Which DVD Recorder to buy

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AFCB01, Oct 22, 2003.

1. AFCB01

AFCB01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading several reviews on various websites I have decided to get a Panasonic DVD Recorder (unless anyone can persuade me to get a different brand) as I have heard many poor reviews about the Phillips one

Now the Question is which one - which I am hoping someone can help me with

The main purpose initially would be to transfer a lot of VHS video onto DVD to store (editing out adverts etc and unwanted stuff)

Also it would be mainly used for recording to DVD from TV via NTL home cable

I also have a sony camcorder with Ilink in and out which currently I edit the tapes and record to disc via my pc

The models I have looked at include the HS2 with the hard drive which although I think is great is a bit out of my price range at present

I think the hard disc is probably how these machines will go in the future and I am sure the price will come down in due course

The other two I looked at were the E50 and E60 - these differ by about 100.00 in price

The only difference I could see was thta the E60 has firewire connection
    Is there any other major differences and can anybody advise if the firewire connection is worth an extra 100.00

Also if there are any other recorders that I should consider please let me know

A long post I know but I really would be grateful for any advice

2. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings

I am in the same boat as you, wanting the same requirements, and I will be buying the E60 when I get paid. The only difference is the firewire, and whether it's worth the £100 depends on how much you want to use it I guess. I have lots of camcorder footage on their original tapes so I will be using it.

It's about £360, there are cheaper places but search the forums for reviews of Techtronics etc and make make your own mind up

;-)

Regards

Dude

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    There are one or two other 'minor' differences. The E60 can record in LPCM audio for example in XP mode which (arguably) makes it a better choice for people who wish to record concerts/music. The E60 also has a PC Card slot for people who wish to use the device with a digital camera (most people opt to go for the PC route rather than use a E60/HS2 etc but it's a usefult feature to some). However, as dude1971 points out, the difference in price is commanded by the presence of iLink on the E60.

I should point out before you buy some limitations if you get a standalone DVDR as opposed to a HDD/DVDR combo. You will be able to record to DVD-RAM which has a full suite of features, e.g. partial erase (editting), splitting titles, timeslip etc, but has limited compatibility or you can record to DVD-R which is universally compatible but has no editting features.

Now you can easily get around this 'limitation' by using a PC DVD burner and authoring software (e.g. TMPG Enc Author) to import from DVD-RAM and then burn to DVD-R. Using this route you can actually achieve better results than with just a HDD/DVDR combo. Alternatively there are 'other' options for converting from DVD-RAM such as using a DVD-RAM capable player - but the PC route is by far the best.

Alternatively you could just build an archive on DVD-RAM disks - but these won;t play in most DVD players (which isn't a problem if you don't want to share).

4. AFCB01

AFCB01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your reply

Think I have made up my mind now - well almost to get the E60

Perhaps you could just help and clarify a couple of other things

Am I right in thinking that if I was to record a programme from the TV in full if I wanted to edit out the adverts theonly way I can do this is if it has been recorded to DVD-RAM as opposed to DVD-R

With the ilink am I right in assuming that you can both copy the camcorder tape in full to either DVD-R or DVD-RAM

If I wanted to edit and then copy would it then have to be put on a DVD-RAM

Finally what sort of leads do I need to connect my Video recorder to the DVD recorder to copy onto DVD - are they just basic Scart leads or do I need anything else

Could you advise where I can whatever leads I need and also any sites that are best priced for DVD-RAM and DVD-R

Also I have seen all the different speeds or copy lengths

Can anybody suggest how different the quality is - ie is worst quality better or comparable to VHS etc

Sorry to be a pain but as you can tell I am new to all this

I have a PC with a DVD rewriter so can I use this to copy a DVD-RAM copied on the Panasonic to a DVD-R

Also will the Pansonic play any Video CDS with mpeg files copied to them - I am assuming it does but couldnt find definite clarification

Hope you can help again

DAVE

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    That's correct.

Yes - you can record iLink input to DVD-RAM or DVD-R.

As you say normal scart leads will do the job. Given that the DVD recorder records in high quality it is worth investing in some decent leads. You don't need to go over the top for VHS sources, look to spend around £10-£15 on the scart lead between the VCR and DVDR.

Top quality mode (XP - 1 hr per disk) is virtually identical to source, Standard Play mode (SP - 2 hrs per disk) is again hard to distinguish from the original. LP (4 hrs) and EP (6 hrs) are, in broad terms better than VHS and long play VHS respectively - although obviously a low res/low bitrate digital picture has different 'symptoms' than a low res analogue VCR recording.

Not sure off the top of my head - I don't think so - but I'll check at the weekend.

6. AFCB01

AFCB01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak

Once again thanks for your help

Just a couple more questions

With the digital camcorder this can be played through the TV and copied to Video - I am assuming this cant be done on dvd as otherwise there would be no need for firewire?

I have also considered the HS2 but as a novice thought it might be a bit beyond me!

Also the price was higher than I wanted to pay - in your opinion do you think that machines with a hard drive will come dow in price over the next couple of years I am guessing they will

7. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As with all technology, prices will drop. Weren't the 1st batch of DVD players over £1000 in 1999?

Dive in now, the price will drop but in 3 years time we will have a new technology to worry about anyway, I'm sure!

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146

I'm no DVD Recorder expert but I wold assume it's straight forward and doable to copy from your camcorder to DVD recorder either via the firewire socket (best way) or via analog S-video out.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Exactly Kevo. It can be done either way but iLink is obviously best as it remains 'all digital'.