• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which dvd recorder to buy? Tips please!

pauldc

Standard Member
So Ive been leaning towards the Sony RDR-HXD990 seeming that the sonys are well liked and seem to be good player- recorders. But are there any other players in this price range I should be looking at?

With the Sony its not the best looking machine on the market and the gui seems to be a bit old looking, but besides those things Ive understood its a good working machine. Just wondering if there is any other player out there that do works as good and have a moden gui?

Ive seen the Samsungs, they look great on the outside, but the inside I know little about, the same with Philips.

I would rather have an ugly looking machine which is a good bit of kit, than a good design machine that doesnt work as well.

Anyone got any advice?

ramjet

Banned
the only recommendations you will tend to get on here is sony , pioneer and panasonic , nothing else comes close and those samsungs are terrible with bad feedback. my lad had 2 new samsungs and they both went back and he got a new sony 870 instead

I have the 770 , 870 and 970 myself and extremely happy with them

a sony 890 or 990 will do the job fine , or an older model x70

the x70 range are easily upgraded to a bigger hdd and to make region free as well , so thats the ones I go for , and most of my family and friends now have an x70

this morning I upgraded a 770 with a 500 gig sata hdd and made it region free , using 2 remote controls , so its now a 1070 for a total cost of about £130 ( not including the special remotes I used )

I wouldnt touch the samsungs or philips !!

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
I agree with ramjets comments above.

The Panasonics are probably simpler to operate with a fairly clear interface with an optional dual approach of either simplicity or greater depth of control.

They are probably the only other models worthy of consideration.

Apart from Pioneer, which are overpriced, and similar to the Sony's.

The rest are probably generally best avoided , and some definitely so.

Mooly

Established Member
Have to agree guys. Sony definitely. Been very pleased with my HXD870 HDD and it gets flogged to death.
Having "issues" with a new Samsung at the moment. All seem software related. Here we go again :)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom