1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD Recorder records in 16:9

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PepeDuran, Jan 2, 2005.

1. PepeDuran

PepeDuran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer 510 DVD recorder and I have a digital terrestial tuner (do you guys call it freeview ??) going into one of the inputs, and it records all the widescreen (16:9) content as 4:3. Its rather annoying to say the least.Even my widescreen camera input is recorded as 4:3
    Is there currently a DVD recorder that can record widescreen as widescreen.

:clap:

2. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was under the impression that most, if not all, did. Sure you've not just got a setting wrong somewhere?

3. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    All DVD recorders will record 16:9 - including the Pioneer 5100/510 - it's just that not many recording in Video mode will record the widescreen switching signal. Check the sources are outputting an anamorphic (16:9) picture and check the output settings of your Pioneer aren't set to 4:3 letterbox or something similar.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  5. PepeDuran

PepeDuran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok: the source digital terrestial tuner is set to 16:9, pan & scan. (options are 4:3, or 16:9 pan & scan, or 16:9 letterbox)
    Output of the dvd recorder is set to 16:9
    I dont have any problems with outputting any 16:9 content (eg pre recorded dvd)

tobyjuggler can you tell me which dvd recorders you know for sure record in 16:9.
    Becuase the Pioneer 510 doesnt.
    Or should I rephrase that to "any that will record the widescreen switching signal, in video mode"

Apparently the JVC DR-MH30 DVD http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=DR-MH30SEK
    recorder has something called "Auto 16:9 Recording & Playback" so I guess that does have the feature I am looking for.

6. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The sources don't make sense as you say them they should be 16:9, 4:3 pan and scan (usually chopped) or 4:3 letterbox.

Most DVD recorders don't record the widescreen flag for DVD-R, some I can't remember which let you specify whether its widescreen or not but don't do it automatically. This is only a real problem if you want to watch on a 4:3 TV since on a widescreen TV (and some 4:3 models) you can just put the TV into widescreen mode manually.

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Current Pioneers record the widescreen flag on video mode DVDs as follows:

It depends on the recording type of the DVD. LP does not carry the widescreen flag. SP and better does, maximum 2h 20m on a DVD. Anything longer than that counts as LP.

f you watch on a 16:9 TV you can manually expand the compressed image in LP, but you are stuck on a 4:3 TV unless it's a recent one with a 'Squeeze' setting to reduce the height of the pic to show a letter box 16:9.