Which DVD Recorder, Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mdawkins, Dec 20, 2004.

1. mdawkins

mdawkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking for a DVD Recorder for a while now and have really only looked at 'non' major brand names e.g. Ellion and Liteon. I have been considering either the Liteon LVW-5006 or the SCAN Eliion DVR-530S (for DivX) but I have never been sure about not buying a major brand recorder
    so I am now looking at the Panasonic DMR-E55 and the Sony RDR-GX300, or if it is worth the extra the Panasonic DMR-E85.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received. :lease:

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Liteon are actually a major player, even though their name is not well known. This is because a lot of Liteon products are rebadged for other manufacturers. The CD and DVD units in most IBM PC's are re-badged Liteon's. They've been in business since 1975.

Ellion is rather more obscure. I own an Ellion DVX-520C DVD player, and it has been trouble-free, but I wasn't over-impressed with the quality of the set-up menus, but what can I expect for a DVD player with progressive scan output for less than £50 ? The problem with more obscure makes is that it's harder to find firmware updates for them if you need them.

3. alex.lake

alex.lake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering an E55 right now. The price seems good (£200) for something that can do time-slip. I'm slightly tempted by the DV-In feature of the E65 (another thread for that, I think!)

4. bwfc3101

bwfc3101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvd recorder £99.99 sainsburys bolton
    i own an aldi one and it seems fine although picture reception is not 100%
    but i suspect thats my old ariel

5. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have the rebadged LiteOn DVD recorder from Asda called the 4kus. Its very cheap but extremely good for the money. I bought it with a pinch of salt but its exceeded my expectations. I writes perfectly onto Philips DVD-RWs which play back even in my xbox. Possibily not compatible with some old drives though. It captures the same type of picture and audio as it recieves and i havent noticed any jitters in normal playback which was picked upon in its reviews. The results look fantastic to me considering i was recording an ntl cable chanel feed and i was sending through a cheapo scart lead too.

I believe currys are selling the proper LiteOn unit half price now £119 for christmas. Dont be put off just because it isnt a well known brand. These drives have been knocking around in PCs for a long time now. Im pretty sure they dont make anything but DVD and CD-Rom drives/Units. The asda recorder and the LiteOn drive both got 4 out of 5 stars, only falling down on satisfactory build quality and probably not being the sharpest needle in the bunch. At the end of the day im recording NTL cable feeds for convience inplace of a VCR which is totally redundant now. Im not likely to keep many recordings i do and the NTL cable feed certainly isnt anywhere near DVD quality at only 5000kbps on average (if that). Therefore i felt my decision to get a cheap one, at this quality was a good one. :)

Good luck