Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which DVD Recorder, Panny or Sony?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tman, Aug 26, 2005.

1. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I'm in the market for a DVD recorder. I don't really need an internal HDD as I have a Freeview PVR (Fusion). The DVD recorder would mainly be for archiving off material from the PVR, and maybe transferring some old VHS tapes to DVD. I use a Pioneer DV-575a for most DVD playback. An iLink (firewire) input would be a bonus to transfer film from the miniDV camcorder. The unit would also need DVD-R write capability.

Component out (progressive) would also be good, I would ideally need an RGB SCART in (for the PVR) and RGB SCART out to the display.

I don't have a huge budget, and have narrowed it down to either a Panasonic DMRES10 or a Sony RDRGX210. I've seen both online for around £170.

I've seen some negative comments about the Sony's editing capabilities, but I don't really think I would be treating this as an advanced edit deck. The Panasonic sounds very good, but doesn't have iLink.

Any comments?

Thanks

2. oh aye

oh aye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the panasonic and think its excellent although i dont know much about the sony. What i find really good is DVD - RAM watching the start of the program while the rest is still being recorded. I connect my sony digital 8 camcorder to the panasonic with an S video lead and i have archived most of my camcorder tapes to DVD - R mostly for playback on my pioneer 575, the picture is good although a dv input would be better.

3. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Chers oh aye, I'm really leaning towards the Panny now. It does sound like the better DVR on the whole, and the dual SCART in/outs could be the clincher.