1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD Recorder, Panny or Sony?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tman, Aug 26, 2005.

1. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I'm in the market for a DVD recorder. I don't really need an internal HDD as I have a Freeview PVR (Fusion). The DVD recorder would mainly be for archiving off material from the PVR, and maybe transferring some old VHS tapes to DVD. I use a Pioneer DV-575a for most DVD playback. An iLink (firewire) input would be a bonus to transfer film from the miniDV camcorder. The unit would also need DVD-R write capability.

Component out (progressive) would also be good, I would ideally need an RGB SCART in (for the PVR) and RGB SCART out to the display.

I don't have a huge budget, and have narrowed it down to either a Panasonic DMRES10 or a Sony RDRGX210. I've seen both online for around £170.

I've seen some negative comments about the Sony's editing capabilities, but I don't really think I would be treating this as an advanced edit deck. The Panasonic sounds very good, but doesn't have iLink.

Any comments?

Thanks

2. oh aye

oh aye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the panasonic and think its excellent although i dont know much about the sony. What i find really good is DVD - RAM watching the start of the program while the rest is still being recorded. I connect my sony digital 8 camcorder to the panasonic with an S video lead and i have archived most of my camcorder tapes to DVD - R mostly for playback on my pioneer 575, the picture is good although a dv input would be better.

3. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Chers oh aye, I'm really leaning towards the Panny now. It does sound like the better DVR on the whole, and the dual SCART in/outs could be the clincher.