Which DVD Recorder/Hard Disk?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paul1966, Nov 23, 2004.

1. paul1966

paul1966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello evrybody,

This is my first post having just discovered this site. My knowledge is on av subjects is better than the 'man in the street', but basic compared to most on this forum, so if anybody is kind enough to reply please keep it basic :)

I am wanting to buy a dvd/HDD combo. I dont use a videa camera, but video a lot of tv and am fed up with poor quality of video tapes + the space they take up. Therefore would value some help on options that people have had very positive feedback on some recorders.

Also can anybody tell me the diffference between dvd -RW, +RW and RAM, is one better than the other? Also is there any likelyhood that one will become the dominate form - don't want a betamax situation.

With regard to HQ, SP, EP etc for recording, does SP give a good image or do you need to use HQ, therefore 1 hour per disk?

Finally for now will blu ray make the dvd recorders obsolute in the next few years or is this technology quite a way off.

Look forward to your thoughts, thanks.

Paul

2. paul1966

paul1966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any thoughts please ........ :lease:

3. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Toshiba SX32... well I've got one and like it, and it wasn't too expensive.

Sort of depends on your budget though...

I'll leave someone else to go on about the formats, but the toshiba supports Ram, -RW and -R.

If you're only planning to keep the recordings semi-temporarily for yourself though on the toshiba ram's better as the library function only works with them.

Quality... on the toshiba SP is very good.... LP is pretty poor, but fine if its not something important without much in the way of visuals...

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As an aside.. by the time that one of -RW +RW or Ram become dominant they'll probably have been superceded ....

5. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Does the Toshiba allow you to record straight to disk and bypass the HD?

I have two Philips DVDR75's and the +RW disks play in the other DVD players in the house which is very useful. The kids record something, watch it upstairs, bring the disk down and record again. I also record things for mates on +RW and they return the disk. Will I be able to do the same with -RW disks?

If I record 6 hrs of TV onto the HD would I be able to edit out all of the adverts and burn the remainder to disk?

How long would it take to record that 6 hrs to disk (I know some recorders do it at upto 24x) ?

Thanks

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If playback on other players is important to you,you need only avoid Panasonic who rely on incompatible RAM for rewritables,while other makes use -RW,often paired with RAM aswell.

7. Bob H2

Bob H2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you can record straight to DVD - to any of the three formats that the machine writes to. You will need to finalise a -RW disc to play it in another machine.

It would depend on what bit rate you saved to program to the HDD. You could record 6 hours from the HDD to disc if it is recorded at a sufficiently low bit-rate (around 1600, I would guess, and the PQ may not be too flash.

8. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can recommend a Pioneer (I have a 720).

I do find them spot on in terms of easy to use, quality and features.
    I don't have a comparison to Panasonic or Toshiba, and Pioneer is more dominant in Portuguese market (Sony is the leader here).

I do find both Panasonic and Toshiba to be VERY limited; Panasonic doesn't have RW recording, and Toshiba doesn't read +R(W) disks.

I can be wrong, but by today’s standards EVERY recorder should already be able record (and read) both -/+R(W).
    SONY seems to be first BIG one to introduce this feature, but it lacks lots of functionality.

Pioneer seems to be the least extremist in this +/- war AND still have lots of features. The lack of +RW recording only affect me because I already had lots of this disks (much more versatile than -RW format in PC format), but that's only a few € investment (I can buy ten -RW 2x disks by 17€). That should be enough for temporary recordings - remember the hard disk really avoids lots of disks around the house, and these -RW are only to take recordings out of the recorder. RAM isn't an option!

Since last Friday, when I received my recorder, I've record some cartoons. Yesterday I was able to cut, divide and make a DVD with those bits. Maybe I've spend 15 minutes, which reveals the easy of use - it was my first time; perhaps in the future I can do it in less time.

Bottom line, I was pushed towards Pioneer and really would like to have more options available, but this machine is exactly what I wanted (it makes one year since I decided to buy one). The only thing I didn't like was the price. I should have been able to buy a similar machine with less than 500€. That would be just perfect.

9. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i can tell you what I do. I use SP mode for analogue TV recordings, and that gives me a PQ equal to broadcast. My recordings are almost from music channels (concerts, video clips). Altough you get Dolby Digital 2.0 sound (256 Kbps), it's fine for my intents. I always use High Speed copy to transfer to DVD-R.

I use HQ mode (called FINE in my pioneer recorder) for DV tape recordings (through firewire). One DV tape is aprox. 1h02m and that fits in a DVD-R in HQ mode, when using High Speed copy.

Sometimes when recording an event that i'm not able to know how much time it will take, I just record in HQ mode and then do a "Optimized recording" to completely fill a DVD-R (example: football game that can have aditional 30m period time).

Note: In pioneer recorders you can preview what PQ you get using each of the manual modes (32 diferent ones, from 1 hr/ DVD to 6 hrs/DVD). I find the 3 hrs mode aceptable for analogue TV transmissions, although i don't use it.

Hope that helps.

10. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would hardly call not using +R disks as very limited, given that -R's outsell them by approximately a factor of 10, and there are few if any technical advances.

11. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not counting with penalties! Hope Benfica wins in Euro competitions, but Sporting is the one in Portugal. ;) (don't wnat to buy a war, as I really wish Benfica to win this year championship)

What Pioneer do you have?

davet010,
    Still a big limitation with +RW, and yes +R is not a big problem.
    In my PC I use +RW for re-recording and -R for permanent recordings.
    I would had bought the Pioneer if it couldn't read +R(W), but I give DVD-RAM for free.... :p

Can someone tell me how much time it takes a +RW recorder to finalize? (I'm aware that +RW ALWAYS finalise disks after each recording)

12. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer DVR-5100.

Wish all the luck to Sporting (only in Euro competitions ... :laugh: ).

13. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It looks like a Pioneer 520 for me.

Thanks for all your replies.

14. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regards to the Pioneer-DVR420, any one know if when material is recorded to the HDD, if the timer is a bit out, or the program starts a bit late, can the begining adverts or whatever be edited out for final burning to a disk at a later time..?

15. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. Cut A-B points, anytime, anywhere!

16. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool, thanks jopereira, i think i see what i want for xmas from the gf then! :)

17. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I always start timer recordings 2 mins early and end them 5 mins late. Messes up VideoPlus idea, but it only takes a moment to change the start and stop times using the Timer manual set facility after videoPlus has done the basics. You can add a Title there if you want.

You don't have to edit the HDD recording before burning to DVD with the Pioneers. You Add the program to a Copy List and do all the editing on the Copy List item(s). The HDD in unchanged in this process so if you make a mistake it doesn't matter because you can have another go.

If you've got to wait for Christmas for the machine, at least you can download the manual :)

18. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks eddyad

19. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't Christmas yet?
    I already bought my Pioneer, which is a Christmas present to myself... I'm always out of sync! :D

20. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

heh heh good stuff! why not treat yourself?

21. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Nope, out of question!! :thumbsup:

22. paul1966

paul1966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your posts, I have now decided definitely to buy one of these machines, my girlfriend is unhappy with the number of videos :nono: :mad:, so she is as happy as me to get dvd recorder/hdd :clap: :thumbsup:

Now the choice - from a price point of view have narrowed it down to 3, unless anybody else has a better selection....

1. Toshiba XS32

2. Panasonic E85H

3. Pioneer 520H

Would value you extra feedback on these, will use mainly for reording tv and transfering vidoes to dvds.

Look forward to your thoughts - thanks

23. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ordered the Pioneer 420 today from Richer Sounds for £349 and I pick it up tomorrow. The only difference between the 420 and 520 is the DV in which I'm not bothered about.

Thanks for all your advice and experience. I'm so glad I didn't buy the Sony HX900.

24. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    paul1966: People seem to rate the Tosh for flexibility, Panny for pic. quality, Pioneer for ease of editing.
    You could download Tosh and Pioneer manuals (Panny not yet online) and see what you think.
    The Pioneer has an input setting for VCR transfers. I don't know what it does different from antenna setting but it's there.
    To save committing a scart to the VCR connection you can use the front audio and composite vid inputs. A standard VCR won't output better quality then composite.

25. paul1966

paul1966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback so far - still not sure but have to say happy with all my previous buys from RS, so could be an influence :confused:

However I bet it wont make much difference what I buy all 3 seem good options, still will wait for a few days to get some more advice - thanks :smashin:

look forward to some more opinions :lease:

26. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Paul, a late entrant to the list of possible maybes would be the JVC DR-MH20 (80 GB HDD) DVD-RW/RAM/R. Wouldn't recommend bothering with + format unless your PC is + only, and you plan to use it to view or edit the discs.
    If it's just a case of timeshift recording with the occassional archive of a film or series (sitcom/documentary/etc) then the HDD will be your best friend with the DVD-RW/RAM for the archivals. -RW if you plan on sharing with friends with a DVD player.

The only downside of the JVC might be it's lack of RGB input connection, which would give the best from a digital receiver (SKY/NTL digital) via their SCART output.
    I may be wrong, but the DR-M10 which I'm getting is devoid of RGB, and I suspect the 20 is as well,hence the caveat in the above paragraph.

JVC DR-MH20 with free I, Robot DVD - cheapest online price via pricerunner.co.uk

27. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Paul: You'll kick yourself if you don't get RGB input and output and you acquire (or already have) sat, freeview or NTL. All these boxes tend to have RGB output and it's much better pic quality than composite. With freeview tuners around £50 they are almost a good buy for the RGB TV, let alone the extra channels.

If you plan to keep archive disks DVD-R is fine. -RAM is expensive and not always portable. +RW seems to be of limited interest. If you need re-writable then -RW is OK.

If you don't need DV input/output (digital camcorder) then you could go to Pioneer 420.

28. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic manuals (DMR-E85 and DMR-E95) are online; I have them in PDF format, though don't remember where I get them from.

29. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you have an English version (not US) it would be great if you could remember the source; they are definitely not on the UK site.

30. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I bought the Pioneer 420 home about 3 hours ago and its everything I asked for (and more). The editing is superb and exactly what I want. I like how easy it is to cut adverts out and then group all the videos you require, in the order you want and then write them to a disk at high speed. I even copied a DVD that I'd already wrote on my PC. Its dead easy to program but I would have liked to manually put in the time like my Philips DVDR75. All in all for £349 from Richer Sounds I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.