Which DVD recorder for SONY hidef camcorder ?

mk

Hi - quick question. Have an 2 year old panasonic dvd recorder and want to replace with something that has hdmi and gives better quality recordings. Any suggestions as I just want to press play and record and not bother with PC. Can't afford much £150 max.. :thumbsup:

chrishull3

Hi - quick question. Have an 2 year old panasonic dvd recorder and want to replace with something that has hdmi and gives better quality recordings. Any suggestions as I just want to press play and record and not bother with PC. Can't afford much £150 max.. :thumbsup:

a hdmi output will not give you better recordings.the best input into dvd recorders is the firewire which gives recordings although slightly more compressed on a par with mini dv.as for hdmi out i do not think there is any difference watching home made movies via hdmi than from scart etc.chris

rhubarbe

Banned
You mention a Sony HiDef camcorder. These mostly have an HDMI out, so it would be easiest to connect the cam to the TV with the HDMI on the cam, wouldn't it?

Or maybe you are talking about transferring footage to the DVDR from the cam?

chrishull3

You mention a Sony HiDef camcorder. These mostly have an HDMI out, so it would be easiest to connect the cam to the TV with the HDMI on the cam, wouldn't it?

Or maybe you are talking about transferring footage to the DVDR from the cam?

yes of course i thought he was talking about making dvd copies, for strait camcorder play to a tele the hdmi is the easiest and best

senu

Distinguished Member
If you are talking about DVD recorders with HDMI you are better off asking at the DVD recorders Forum

I have seen some nice looking LG models with HDMI around the £150 mark but I doubt if HDMI is an input for anything; The HDMI is for them to play to a TV and perhaps upscale SD DVDs
As it happens you cannot record the Hidef output to DVD that way .. Youll still need a PC and even then you couldnt play them as such on a DVD player.
You would need a PS3 or maybe network media player

Even if you could you would not( as has been stated above) get better quality than using firewire: that input is what to look for in a DVD recorder

senu

Distinguished Member
yes of course i thought he was talking about making dvd copies, for strait camcorder play to a tele the hdmi is the easiest and best

You were right Chris I think he was talking about making DVD copies : he mentions play and record .. not just viewing on TV
a hdmi output will not give you better recordings.the best input into dvd recorders is the firewire which gives recordings
true agreed as above
although slightly more compressed on a par with mini dv.as for hdmi out i do not think there is any difference watching home made movies via hdmi than from scart etc.chris
Im rather less sure about that. It may also depend of how and where you are watching it
There are cheap implementations of HDMI and rather good Scart RGB but in general terms, It is component and HDMI that are usually compared. Not Scart for Hi def viewing : At any rate , Hi Def however recorded cannot normally be viewed via Scart
The differences get much more apparent when you use very discriminating displays (Projectors, Large screen Displays )
but
To emphasise your point to the OP.. For transfer from camcorder to a DVD recorder, the firewire and HDMI would be at par but HDMI is not likely to be an input in the DVD recorder and even if it were quality is likely to be identical

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom