Which DVD recorder for recording SKY in 16:9?

mdawkins

Standard Member
Reaction score
After reading a few threads today I had decided on buying a Panasonic E55,
but after downloading and reading the manual I see that it does not record the WS flag on DVD-R. Please can someone let me know if this is also happens if the E55 records direct from a SKY decoder via Scart (RGB) to DVD-R, as I would like to be able to record from SKY in 16:9 and play it back on my 16:9 TV without having to keep switching the TV back to 16:9.

Thanks

Martin.

I'm afraid the widescreen flag is only ever recorded correctly on DVD-RAM recordings. :(

It's not ideal but if I want to keep something on DVD-R I usually record on RAM first then re-author and burn to -R on the PC.

The E55 is a fantastic machine but this aspect of its design still surprises me.

mdawkins said:
After reading a few threads today I had decided on buying a Panasonic E55,
but after downloading and reading the manual I see that it does not record the WS flag on DVD-R. Please can someone let me know if this is also happens if the E55 records direct from a SKY decoder via Scart (RGB) to DVD-R, as I would like to be able to record from SKY in 16:9 and play it back on my 16:9 TV without having to keep switching the TV back to 16:9.

Thanks

Martin.
I had a brief period of disbelief about this (I happen to have a Pioneer HDD/DVD recorder), because it seemed so unlikely. It's slightly worse that Johnjackthom said though, in three ways.

1. Other threads have pointed out that Sky boxes do not send a Line 23 WS trigger (a signal in the invisible line 23 of the TV pic) but only the scart Pin8 trigger (a European scart peculiarity). This means that you have to find a recorder that will detect the Pin 8 trigger, and off hand I don't know of any. I think you can tell Toshiba to add a WS trigger to recordings if there is not one there, but you'd have to check that in a Toshiba manual.

2. Even if you solve the above. no DVD recorder will put the WS flag on LP DVD video mode recordings because it's not in the DVD spec at those speeds.
I think the Pioneers are OK in DVD-VR mode, which is a bit like DVD-RAM but only available on DVD-RW disks. DVD-VR is not a particularly portable format.

3. (would not apply to you) The absence of the trigger, whether because of the recorder (e.g. E55) or Sky or recording speed, means that a WS program cannot be played satisfactorily on a 4:3 TV, as there is no way of 'unsquashing' the anamorphic recording to either Letterbox or Pan and Scan (picture unsquashed and sides chopped off).
I thought playback specified to 4:3 TV would do it but it seems not, presumably because the player cannot find out the intent of the recording.

Would this still be a problem recording to hard drive then burning a dvd-r on the dmr-e85?

I am thinking of buying an E85 and will be watching it's output on either a widescreen TV (via scart) or a projector (via component). Will recordings
display correctly with this setup?

PS. I will be mainly recording in XP mode from the SCART RGB output of my Netgem freeview box. Then ill burn to CD-r using the "fit to disc option"

Thanks

Teleport said:
Would this still be a problem recording to hard drive then burning a dvd-r on the dmr-e85?

I am thinking of buying an E85 and will be watching it's output on either a widescreen TV (via scart) or a projector (via component). Will recordings
display correctly with this setup?

PS. I will be mainly recording from the SCART RGB output of my Netgem
freeview box.

Thanks
As I'm not a Panasonic user, I don't know for sure. But the rule with Pioneer HDD/DVDs is that a WS flag is always put on DVD-R recordings in SP and better modes.
The WS flag does not appear on DVD recordings over 2h 20m (longest SP on a Pioneer) because of the DVD recording specs - not the machines.
As far as I know Freeserve boxes do not have the Pin 8/Line 23 problem of the Sky boxes. My 2 year old Grundig Freeview STB is OK with recordings and TV. I'm feeding its TV-out RGB into the Pioneer and out of the Pioneer to the TV. Then I get a RGB for viewing, recording and playing.

So answer is almost certainly Yes, but you may have to select picture aspect ratio manually on TV in certain cases.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom