1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD recorder for archiving VHS tapes

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stormjai, Jan 1, 2005.

1. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thinking of taking plunge into DVD recorder. have Sky+, but understand HDD/DVDR useful.

Have many old VHS recordings of family events from last 20yrs!! want to get these onto DVD. Are any of the stanalone DVD Recorders better at this? eg time base correction, video "cleanup" - I thought i read Sony ones gave a cleaner picture?? Or is it better to write to DVDR, then clean up and edit on PC??

Any advice appreciated

2. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Most DVD recorders (with or without a HDD) will do a good job for archiving from VHS. The models to avoid are Philips and associated 'cheapies' (Mico, Daewoo, Nissan, Grunding, Goodmans, Yamada etc) - all of which lack inbuilt time base correction. Sony are good but better results can be achieved with other models - noticeably Panasonic, Toshiba or Pioneer - due to more recording settings (meaning higher bitrates can be used). JVC models are particularly good for archiving from VHS although most rule these models out as they lack RGB input (very useful for Sky/Freeview recording).

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Pioneers have a specific VCR (VHS) input setting. The mode is set by input socket. There are 6 input picture quality presets:
    Tuner – suitable for general TV broadcasts
    VCR – suitable for video cassettes
    LDP – suitable for Laserdiscs
    plus 3 user settings.

I don't know how the first three differ, but I suppose it's something to do with noise reduction and the different characteristics of the signals from the various sources.

When copying from VHS you won't need to do better than LP mode on HDD/DVD, that's around 4 hours per DVD.

Clean up on a PC could be an incredibly laborious job. It takes ages just to clean up old LPs for transfer to CD with a product called Goldwave, which has some of the best facilities around for this.