Which DVD recorder and where from?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hutchingsp, Dec 12, 2004.

1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been thinking of getting a DVD recorder for ages, but until now I've held out assuming they'll keep falling in price.

Right now they seem cheap enough so I'm looking again.

I already have Sky+ so I don't think a HDD recorder is warranted, I think all I really want is a recorder/player that I can hook up to the Sky+ and my TV via RGB.

Not fussed too much about + vs - as I don't think I'll be doing anything other than recording and watching on the same machine.

Multi-region would be nice, but not absolutely essential.

Thinking Pioneer 220 and Panasonic E55 so far.

cheers for any advice/suggestions,
    Paul

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    They're both good machines. The Panny has the better record quality but the Pioneer has -RW rather than RAM so is better if you want to watch re-writables on another player.

3. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    is -RW more commonly readable then?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    -RW is readable by most recnet players RAM requires a machine capable of reading RAM........ but can still use DVD-R on panny machines for archiving TV series films off Sky+ for playing on a standard DVD player and almost every DVD Player will play DVD-R (write once media)

5. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    -RW needs to be finalised before watching in another player which can be a bit of a pain because it takes sooooo long.

6. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So, what's the best format that's re-recordable and playable on other machines?

7. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    After putting a lot of money down on other audio/visual stuff i was left with little to spend on a dvd recorder. I went ahead and bought a v.cheap 4kus recorder from asda for £139 and pocketed the rest of my budget.

For the money its well worth it. I am struggling to see the difference between that and what a high end recorder would achieve. I decided to go with the cheap one because i would only ever record off the TV (NTL) which only sends me on avergae 5000kbps which is no where near dvd quality anyway. I recorded the simpsons, eastenders and spooks tonight, all looking just as good as the origonal feed and im very critical, most of the time :)

Sure the more expensive ones may give better colour and contrast but at TV level with a decent QED/IXOS scart its debatable. The recordings have no indescrepancies or flaws.

I found out the thing is a re-baged Lite-On drive so its good quality and can be hacked to multi-region very easily. It does Auto chaptering every 5 mins (of whatever you choose), timer record and a decent choice of inputs and outputs.

I was sceptical what i would get for that sort of money, the results did suprise me. For casual recording from the TV its perfect. Picked up a cheapish 3 pack of basic Maxell +RW's from asda too. Not a bad evening afterwall.

Good luck ;)

8. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    All my disks done on Philips +RW have played on everybodies machines, been given back to me and I've recorded over them again and again.

I've yet to try the -RW on the Pioneer 420 because it takes so long to finalise.

9. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have Sky+ and a Toshiba RDXS32, which is HDD/DVD recorder. I started out thinking I didn't need a HDD because I have Sky+ but a good trawl through the threads on here soon convinced me. I am sure you may be delighted with a relatively cheap recorder, and I am sure I would have been, but I am glad I went for the option I did as it really is a very flexible set up.

For me the key issue is the ease of dumping a load of stuff off the Sky+ overnight at a good quality level (i.e. not 6hrs on one DVD which is close to unwatchable whatever anybody says!). I can then hack it into separate programmes and watch or archive at my leisure.

I have used some -RW's, but did not notice the finalisation taking long, but it may have done. I mainly use DVD-R's as they are so cheap. The -RW's worked fine on my little portable and on a friends Denon and Sony players. My second DVD player didn't like them and I haven't got round to upgrading the firmware as I never use the second one as a timeshifter.

Sorry to add confusion, but you asked for input!!! :) :)

10. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    All I'm looking to do is to record off Sky so that I can take a disc or 2 away with me when I'm working away. I want to play them on a PC (or an Orbit player) and tem re-record them

11. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hutchingsp

Go for the jvc drm 10 I have had it for 2 weeks now and very nice indeed. It uses the dvd - rw or dvd - r format to record or the dvd ram format but the discs are expensive. The dvd ram though can timeslip which is a feature that lets you record and play what you have recorded simultaneously!!. The good thing about this machine as oposed to the pioneer is that it also plays dvd+r or dvd+rw disks as well, I dont think the pioneer does that. It also has progressive scan feature if you have a tv that takes this signal.

There was some complaints about the fan being on continuously even on standby which in the manual is due to some settings being set to on!! Some people just complain without even reading the manual!!

This machine though has a large feature list and you will have to read the rather large manual to be able to have a good idea of most of the features.

good luck.

12. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say that a dvd recorder/hard drive combo is the only way forward.

I also have a humax 800t which works like sky plus and had considered going for a plain dvd recorder. However after reading a few comments went and got a Tosh 32XS and am glad i did.

Having a hard drive which allows you to edit is indispensible.

13. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Crikey, this is getting even more confusing

14. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much trawling through this forum and around the net, not being much of a techie, I think the Panasonic DMR-E85H is the best way to go. Editting features on a standard recorder with no hard disk just wont do the job.

123Electricals4me.co.uk said they can do a multiregion Panny DMR-E85H for an extra £15, so £404 and £399.95 from rgbdirect seem to be the best prices i can find. Why do some sites refer to this model as Panasonic DMRE85HEBS? Is this the same model, whats EBS??? It doesn't say EBS on the unit? :lease: Any clarification would be appreciated!

15. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have today recieved my new Panasonic e85hebs from empire-direct, although looking at the box and the manual it just says e85h. I hope that they have not delivered the wrong unit. Does anyone have any knowledge on this and what HEBS means???

Thanks

16. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a bit of searching I have found a page that has the answer here - posts 29,30,32.

Can anyone confirm that the DMRE85HEBS and DMRE85H are in fact the same machine?

And that the EBS means it indicates the unit will work in England, Scotland & Wales and it's silver in colour?

Thanks

17. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EB = England, Scotland & Wales? Maybe England/Britain? S= Silver is logical enough. As long as these models are the same!

18. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Philips +RW then. Works everytime.

19. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    silent ninja,

I have emailed empire-direct to try and get an answer. will post when i get reply

20. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm... i emailed them around 2 wks ago they ignored me completely. Just for your info, if you want to modify your recorder to multiregion bought from there, you can try http://www.dvdchips.co.uk/ its around £23 odd for the remote.

I'm now undecided between the panasonic dmr85 and the pioneer dvr-520H. Pro's and cons for both but from user opinions, the panasonic seems to offer better picture quality.
    Let me know how you get along your new panny.

21. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    silent ninja,

Yep, no response to. I phoned empire direct and the guy said that it is the exact same model as it is direct from panasonic. I tried phoning panasonic but they never seem to answer, so sent them an email afew days ago still no reply. I am pretty sure it is the exact same model as it has all the listed features, but it would be nice to know what the extra letters mean.

I am really pleased with the e85 I recorded a few things last night and the picture and sound quality is perfect, and I had it set to record in pal mode by mistake! I have just changed to RGB, so from what I have read this should be even better - if that's possible...

I like recording live music, so the real test of the recording quailty will come when I Tape(burn) a few gigs. Thanks for the multi-region advice, I didn't opt for this as I don't watch many non-r2 dvd's.

Thanks

22. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to correct a poster in this thread. The Pioneer DVD-R/RW player WILL read DVD+R/RW perfectly! In fact I have never had a player that reads those discs so well.