1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD rec with HDD and Freeview

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davepuma, Jul 1, 2005.

1. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,478
    Hi,

My VCR has finally given up the ghost so I'm looking at a DVD/HDD recorder. In all honesty I don't record that much but after seeing a mates Sky+ I'm hooked. I can't go for Sky+ as I switch my Sky contract on-and-off when I go to work abroad.

Which is the best DVD/HDD recorder, preferably with a Freeview tuner (is there such a thing)? I don't have room for an external Freeview box as I have enough kit as it is. I will need a large HDD as I will probably leave the programmes on there forever!

I will also need to be able to hook up my camcorder.

Ta

2. jxp

jxp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As far as I know there are no HD\DVD recorders with Freeview tuner currently available.

I believe there is one scheduled for the Autumn (Panasonic?).
    It doesn't look like they will be more available until next year.

As analogue switch off is now approaching reality, I will not be buying anything with only an analogue tuner.

3. haf63

haf63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I just got the Tosh XS34 and it integrates really well with regular Sky plus the 160gb disks can stores tons of programmes. no bad points so far
    Haf

4. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Sony have a DVD/HDD recorder coming out very soon, with a built in Freeview reciever, but the price is what has put me off: between £699 and £999 depending on how big the hard drive is!!
    Do a search, there is thread on the sony model. I think the model number is either 910 or 1010

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I had the same problem a year ago, so bought a Pioneer 420. Then because of all the VHS tapes I have I found a Sanyo Nicam VCR for £59.95 I think at Tesco. It's also useful for the rare occasions I want to record two programs at the same time.

So why not get a cheap VCR to tide you over as the Freeview DVD/HDD could be about to arrive?

There are also the Freeview PVRs, some with dual tuners, but no DVDs in these.

6. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,478
    If there is no such beast (DVD Rec/HDD/Freeview) around then I think I'll wait. I thought as as Freeview was so common now, that the big guns would have brought out a machine that did everything. If I have to wait, so be it. I think I'll heed the advice and buy a cheapie VCR until a model with my requirements becomes available. I suppose VCR's will be dead soon so maybe it would be a good bet anyway....

Cheers for replies.

7. Rojo Habe

Rojo Habe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Frustrating, isn't it? Sony did do a Freeview DVD recorder but it had no hard drive. They've just replaced this model with a HDD/DVD recorder that doesn't have a Freeview tuner! They already do a range of those. There's some information on the forthcoming models from Sony and Panasonic in this thread, assuming they ever see the light of day.

The problem is compounded by the fact that only a small handful of countries actually have digital terrestrial, so the big multinationals don't have much interest in releasing models that only work in one country.

8. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Mmmm... You could always get an external Freeview box, a small one which you can jsut put on top of the DVD recorder.

9. Rojo Habe

Rojo Habe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mmmm.... but if you read Dave's original post:

Lots of people (myself included) don't want the extra clutter of yet another box, taking up yet another power point and requiring another SCART connection. Some people (again, myself included) don't want to buy any more kit that only has an analogue tuner that'll be obsolete in a couple of years.

There's also the added advantage that with an inbuilt tuner you can (hopefully) press the Info button or view the EPG without ruining what you're recording.

10. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Mm... he could go down the option of buying a Freeview PVR with a big HD.

11. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This is certainly a solution, but for timed recordings the combination is not specially user-friendly. You are faced with two timers or various ways of using one machine to kick the other into life at the appropriate time.

The most 'sophisticated' solution may be a Pioneer Freeview box and a new-range Pioneer recorder (530 or 630) with the G-link IR transmitter so the DVD/HDD can control the STB.

I don't like the idea, but I suppose it's the way things could go as the TV audience splits between digital terrestrial, satellite and cable. Then perhaps you'd get a DVD/HDD machine with no tuner at all, and choose your external box.

Trouble is I'm still not entirely sure how the Pioneers get the assorted program schedules for timer setting. I downloaded tha manual but I'm still unclear.

12. Rojo Habe

Rojo Habe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep, and I've considered those myself, but they're not without their problems. Firstly, if you want to keep a recording permanently you'll eventually need some sort of removeable media, be it tape of blank DVD. This inevitably means you still don't have a one-box solution. Also, because these boxes record the digital stream coming in, they can ONLY record Freeview, and won't record from external sources such as camcorders, Sky/Cable boxes etc.

Before you ask why anyone would want Sky/Cable AND Freeview, one may for example wish to record Sky One while watching BBC1 in all its digital widescreen glory. I admit, Sky Plus would be a more elegant solution, but that might not be an option for everyone.

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    According to AV Land the Sony models are due out in October.

14. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Intresting, propably cost £500+

Though it does have HDMI but theres not much point of that,

EDIT: They put a price of £699.99 for October, just need a smaller HD really.

EDIT: There is a normal Sony Freeview HD Recorder with not HDMI and a 160gb for £500, and one with HDMI and 250GB for £700, and a HDMI one with 400gb for 1K :thumbsdow

Very expensive, wait for the other companies.

15. Bloomsburybill

Bloomsburybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Freeview boxes seem pretty reliable and now have good EPGs. Hard drives don't seem to run into problems by and large. Put these into one box, and you are probably OK. DVD recorders, on the other hand, give constant problems as these forums testify. I am on my third model, and only now do I have one which remotely does what it says it should, with only minor glitches that I can live with.

I have a freeview box with a hard drive. On each of the seven million times that one or other DVD recorder has had to go back for 'repair' or consignment to the dustbin, we have managed perfectly well without it for a while, backing everything up onto DVD when we get the DVD recorder back. Until most DVD recorders are a bit more reliable, there is a very good case for having the DVD recorder in a separate box. Provided it has synchro record, getting the DVD to start recording when the freeview box turns itself on is extremely simple, and only one machine (the freeview box) has to have the timer programmed. Anyone who pays out a huge sum of money to have a machine with all three may be setting themselves up for heartache.

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Personally I think this looks like very good value. Unless Panasonic come up with something better the Sony 1010 is the model I'm going for this year.

17. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Have you had the chance to see what the Freeview software and EPG is like for this model yet ?

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    I haven't seen it yet - but I have been told the DVB interface is effectively much as seen on the excellent GXD500. Hopefully they have restored the channel delete and programme info box options! I expect to get the 910/1010 for review first week in Sept.

19. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I'd be very interested to hear your views about this when you get one.

20. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    :eek: At 1K!!!

You msut be loaded.

21. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    £1000 has been the going rate for DVD recorders: the Philips DVDR1000, Panasonic E20, Pioneer DVR7000, Panasonic HS2, Panasonic E100, Panasonic E500 and Pioneer DVDR920 have all been priced at this level (although in reality you could always get them for significantly less - as I'm sure you will for the 1010).

22. Rojo Habe

Rojo Habe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, but as I said in my previous post, Freeview recorders CAN ONLY RECORD FREEEVIEW; they can't record from external sources. If they could do that, I'd have no hesitation in buying one and keeping my E50 (which incidentally I've had no trouble with at all) for archiving.
    I'm trying not to think of it as three-in-one, any more than I do for analogue tuners. The government are switching analogue off in a few years. I think it's irresponsible of them to allow people to sell AV kit in the UK that doesn't have even a basic digital tuner built in. It doesn't have to be a full-blown freeview box, with interactive etc. It just needs to be able to receive and record the full range of freeview (and TopUp TV if required) channels.

23. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I use the Digifusion FVRT 150 (Argos £180) twin tuner Freeview PVR with 80GB HDD to record TV progs. This model has a 14 day EPG which allows setting recording up to 14 days ahead. You can record two different TV progs at the same time whilst watching a previously recorded prog at the same time if you so wish. Timer recording from the set EPG guide can be varied to allow for earlier start and later finish if required. Some info on this model listed :
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/server2/digifusion/
    Should I wish to keep any of the stored info on this Freeview recorder I connect it via scart to my DVD recorder for permanent tranfer to DVDR or DVD-RAM disc. This solution works fine and has presented no problems so far. It also solves the problem of setting timers on a separate freeview box and DVD recorder.

24. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    The Digifusion FVRT 150 is not now listed in the new Argos catalogue. It would also appear to have been upgraded but still maintains the 80GB hard drive. New model is Digifusion FVRT 200 and is available at Unbeatable for £180.
    http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_24444.html

This is the same price that Argos had for the earlier model.

25. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is a good selection of Freeview PVRs around now (I didn't necessarily say "selection of good PVRs...") - see http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewreceivers.html
    Many of them are around £180.
    I think one of the problems with them not being more populay is that they don't carry the 'big' names like Panasonic, Sony etc.
    The Topfield is the only one with 160GB disk and that's dearer.
    At one stage the Fusion FDVRT100 - 80GB HDD with DVD recorder was promised but has never appeared.
    We have a local dealer who was primarily an aerial and satellite installer with a number of PVRs, and he's right opposite a TV dealer with Sony, Pioneer etc. So it's just a matter of crossing the road to see what's around - but why not in one store?
    It's odd that you can get Freeview + HDD recorders, or Freeview + DVD recorders but not all three (current announcements excepted). I wonder if the coding of the Freeview signal into HDD and DVD recording formats has been the sticking point?

26. InsideInfo

InsideInfo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always replace your defunct VCR with one which has a Freeview tuner until the right DVD recorder comes along. There are two such machines to my knowledge, the Daewoo SV900 and the Bush IDVCR01. They are available now for around £75 which isn't bad and you would only have to have the one box.

27. Rojo Habe

Rojo Habe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    According to this month's What Hifi Sound and Vision, the Sony RDR-HX710 has a 160GB hard drive and a Freeview tuner. Sounds ideal. Nothing on the Sony web site yet, but scouting around this board it seems the model's been available in mainland Europe (without Freeview) for some time.

28. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Evening! Read your post with interest. My Father-In-Law has now decided he wants "one of those DVD things with hard disk that can record from the telly" (I have had a RDXS32 since they came out)

Plus Point: He moves with the times
    Minus Point: Guess who will be expected to set it all up and will get calls at least once an hour asking the same questions over and over....!!

So I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for him (and me!) thus a set-up with EPG could be the preferred route with (as you suggest) an attached DVD recorder. How simple is it all to use and in particular, how easy is it to to record to DVD when required?

And if anybody else has any ideas I am all ears!

Thanks all

29. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    The Digifusion is very easy to use - even for us old bods - and without giving any secrets away I will not see 70 again. The FVRT150 doesn't now seem all that easy to find but the FVRT 200 is now being sold by Dixons branches at the same price £180 - noticed it with the freeview boxes in our local Dixons last week.

This Digisfision has two scart outlets and one can be connected to either a vcr or dvd recorder. Just connect it to any convenient socket on the dvd recorder.
    On the Panasonic E85 I use the AV3 input because AV1 is connected to the TV and AV2 has a Sagem freeview STB connected. All that needs to be done for
    DVD-R recording is to select the recording on the Library window of the Digifusion and press play and select record on the DVD rec. Couldn't be simpler.

30. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I note that in the second para I have renamed this PVR. I should add that I quite like using the FVRT 150 but one thing about it does annoy me and that is selecting
    progs on the EPG. It sticks rigidly to the time given in the EPG unless you alter the time manually to start a couple of mins earlier and end a couple of mins later. This is the fault of the broadcasters and channel 4 seems to be one of the main culprits as regards this but it also happens on the others at times. Its not all that much trouble to alter the set times for recording but it can be irritating.