1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which dvd player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KenH, Dec 29, 2002.

1. KenH

KenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

I have £500 approx to buy dvd, receiver and speakers; and further £500 approx for widescreen TV-which I may buy later. Our living room is nearly 14 feet square. One wall has fireplace in centre with TV cabinet next to it in one corner. Opposite wall has tall dresser where the hi fi speakers sit currently. Was considering all-in-one system eg sony davns550. Now leaning more towards to separates: dvd player and receiver/speaker package. Any recommendations you can make would be welcome. One friend has recommended sony components, but another counselled against sony dvd because of problems to do with getting multi region version! Any advice? Is sony reall the best? What about other brands? Any recommendations? My friends have systems which can play ordinary tv in some kind of virtual surround sound. What would that be? Is that something the receiver does or the dvd player?

Thanks for any help.

Ken

2. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    HI,

£500 pounds for a seperate DVD, speakers and reciever does not give you much scope.

There fore, amongst other places I suggest you try Richer Sounds!

For DVD, consider one of the Toshiba models (Toshiba SD120 ) for around £100

Reciever: Personally I have always preferred Yamaha, but that is my personal preference.

Also You need to invest in cables etc.

I would recoment you pop into your local news agents and but a magazine or two, inclusind What Fi-fi, sound and Vision, and Home cinema Choice.

Read through their adivce and explanation sections, together with their buying guides. Then head for a Rischer sound stall and make your self awkward, asking as many questionds you feel appropiate to ensure youare happy with what you are buying.

I hope this helps.