Which DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by conington, Apr 30, 2002.

1. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I wish to upgrade my DVD player and to do this do not want to spend much more that £300, I'm current tempted by the Toshiba SD 500, any comments on this player and/or alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing you actually mean the Toshiba SD510? If so, you can't go wrong for £300 with this player.

I used to have a Panasonic A360 which was their high end player of the time and the Toshiba is just so much better in pretty much every way.

With Toshiba players you do get a lower standard of build quality and an average remote. At the end of the day, it should be PQ and SQ that matter and, for the money, I doubt you'll do better than the SD510. You'll have a player that can rival £500 to £600 players in terms of performance and which offers Progressive Scan and DVD-A should you ever wish to use either.

Worst thing about the SD510... only one SCART socket!

3. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for that, I did mean the SD510. I've seen it advertised multi region + RCE compatible at £350 from Leading Edge Concepts, anyone seen anything cheaper?

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't pay too much attention to screen prices, I paid £299 multi-region from LE Conceptes about a month ago!

www.webelectricals.co.uk are doing it for a ridiculously cheap £259 multi-region. See if you can get LE Concepts to price match it, as I can vouch for their service and RCE mod. Don't know about Web Electricals service.

You will not regret buying a 510, I have a 210 and liked it but the 510 just annihilates it.

5. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just got the 210E from webelectricals circa 2 weeks ago and had no problems. Ordered over the web on a Firday evening and it was delivered by Initla City Link the following Tuesday. Can recommend them 100%.

Wish I had the extra £100 to go for the 510 though.

Chris L.

6. cdm22

cdm22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    The 510 is currently out of stock at webelectricals (well at least in black anyway) but they phoned me on the day i ordered it to let me know this, sounds like good service so far! Oh, and they should be getting more in this week btw.

7. Dan5

Dan5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered my Toshiba 510 from Richer sounds for £250. I asked them to price match webelecticals.co.uk which they agreed to do as well as knock off £10.

Dan

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan5: Fair play to you, that has to be about the best deal I've heard in a long, long time.

If Richer Sounds are happy to do the 510 for £250 I doubt they'll have many left for much longer...