1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by snejk, Mar 8, 2005.

1. snejk

snejk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At a local hi-fi store i found the following brands of dvd players.
    They all seem the have the same features and they are very similar in price so i got confused.
    The brands are:
    Samsung,
    Yamada,
    Philips and
    Grunding.

About the philips- Its the dvp520 model.
    On its specification sheet the shop salesman gave me there is no where written that it can output a DTS signal through its digital out and on the dvd player there is no dts logo. Can someone really tell me if it can output a DTS audio format.

Thanks

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I doubt you'll find many users with Grundigs and Yamada isn't too common .. Philips aren't as 'sexy' a brand as some but they've produce some nice machines in the past, don't about their current range.

Samsung produce some very popular models, which one(s) does this store have?

As far as DTS is concerned, if it has a digital out then I'm pretty sure it'll pass DTS just like any other AC3 stream, it'd only have the logo if it has a DTS decoder on board.

Also, what display do you have? TV, plasma, etc? What inputs can it accept? SCART, component, S-Video? It helps to determine what features of a DVD player may not be useful, eg. if the TV can't accept progressive via component then that isn't going to factor into the decision.

3. snejk

snejk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be connecting the dvd player using rgb via scart to my 28" samsung tv.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In that case then the 'hidef' players like the Samsung HD's ability to scale to 720p isn't useful and I doubt you'll be able to feed progressive scan, in which case I don't think there'll be much to pick between them, in which case I can't think of anything else to do but go on price, warranty etc. as the rest of the specs will be very similar.

5. snejk

snejk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK

Thanks for your help ;)

6. bagand96

bagand96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Philips DVP520. Its neat little machine, very good picture and sound quality (especially considering the price). Has played every disc type that I've thrown at it so far. Another bonus is its very simple to change the region on it and have it region 0 (multi region).

7. snejk

snejk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you try a dts disc?
    What result?
    THanks

8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have all kinds of el cheapo DVD players knocking around the bedrooms, including the Philips DVP520.

the Philips has minor problems, which may or may not bother you:
    1) the tray and ejection/loading mechanism is VERY flimsy, even compared to other budget decks. i dont know how long it's going to last to be honest...
    2) the picture outputs a VERY faint vertical line and vertical stripe over the picture. 99% of the time you can't see it, but when a scene has just the right brightness/colours its really annoying. Other players don't do this.
    3) the philips website technical specifications are all wrong.

apart from that, its quiet, attractive and super-fast and easy to navigate around discs, and plays every disc i tried.

I'm getting a Pioneer DV370 tomorrow (£50 Richer Sounds), will let you know what I find, if you want.