Which DVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dazca1, Nov 22, 2003.

1. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can anyone recommend a decent player?

I started out with a Tosh sd900(lovely) I got a good price so it had to go.

Next I got a Rotel 1060(nice)but I had nothing but bother with it.

Now I have an Arcam dv78(cracking) but its got a problem when watching NTSC films in progressive. Some films(not all) go wonky at the top of screen which is very annoying. Arcam are looking into the problem, but if there is no solution I will need to get rid and get something else. I am sick now
    Any suggestions? I will have around £700 squid to spend.
    Why cant I find a player that just works, when your spending this kind of cash they should be working spot on(It really pis#*s me off)
    I should of kept the Tosh or bough a pacific from Asda(not)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    take a look at HK DVD30 less than you think but great player and no reported ntsc or pal PS problems!
    And get a decent CD player if you were using it for both.

3. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    The wonkiness your experiencing is to do with 'Macrovision' encoded NTSC DVD's, in 1.85:1 and 1.78:1 screen ratios.

My guess would be that your Toshiba had the Macrovision disabled?!?

I use to own a Pioneer 717 and everything was fine, then i sold this for a Sony 930 wonky picture, so i replaced with a Denon 2900 and the same problem. I'm keeping my Denon, but when i upgrade my TV i will be sure to check for the way it's deal with this problem. My brother now own's my Sony 930 and his TV a Toshiba 100Hz Picture Frame model doesn't show any signs of the distortion, so it is more TV related than being the DVD Player.

So i would say you got two options, either a DVD player with the Marcovision disabled or a new TV which isn't affected by it.

Or maybe Arcam would be able to come up with a firmware to disable it on your current player???

Hope this is of some help, what TV are you using??

Giz.:)

4. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank Hornydragon.
    Gizmo 76 Thanks for you advice, Im using a Tosh 26"sd26p.
    What your telling me Is that the player has Macrovision?

5. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    No, the Marcovision is a form of copy protection put on the DVDs, usually the problem only appears when connected into a VCR. But i've heard more and more stories of people experiencing these issues, at first i thought it was Sony related problem but now realise that it applies to more and more TVs.

The reasoning behind it only appear on NTSC signal i don't understand?!? Because PAL discs also have this form of CP, but the TV don't have a problem dealing with it :confused:

On my Denon 2900 i can force it to produce a PAL picture from a NTSC signal, this get's rid of the picture distortion but it only outputs a crappy 50Hz 525 line picture, which means squashed and jerky and no good to no one!!!!

All Disney DVD's are encoded with Macrovision, Final Destination 2 doesn't appear to be!!

It's a very annoying problem that has cost me some money trying to get rid off with no success, but i will be upgrading my TV next year, and i will demo my player with it before purchase!:lesson:

Giz.

6. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Any Ideas why I did not get this problem with my Tosh player, I used the same telly and it did not do it.

7. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I presume that the Macrovision had been disabled in it, so the picture it outputed wouldn't have this copyright signal incorporated meaning you could tape your film if you so desired!!

Where did you buy your original player from??

I believe(i'll google in a min) there are device's of some sort that you can buy that you plug your SCART lead(from DVD player) into and then another SCART from it to your TV and it will strip out the macrovision signal!! But i'm yet to hearing of someone who has tried this and overcome the problem:(

Giz.

8. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Here one that allow's you to use a RGB signal, other only let you do s-video and normal compositive video which is no good for me.

www.sonel.com

If you're using component cables?!?, then i haven't found anything that would help you!!:(

I have sent them an email explaining the problem, i'll let you know what come back i get.

Giz.:D

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Your much more like to suffer from macrovision problems with ntsc dvds in the uk as television sets are configured at the factory for PAL. NTSC gets far less attention and many sets don't cope with ntsc that well and even individual examples of the same model vary enormously. To the manufacturer NTSC compatibility is a mnor feature that most people won't use.

The removal of macrovision is a picture enhancement on an lot of sets. Firstly brightness and contrast may be very slightly improved. Also when an image goes from dark to bright the television will cope better if it has a good clean sync signal which isn't present with macrovision.

The other point is macrovision is not on the disc itself. There isn't a duff slightly off sync stored on the dvd its just a flag encoded on the dvd to say use macrovision on this dvd. Each invidual player then uses its own macrovision circuitry to create a poor sync signal. In the case of a company like Sony this can be a very distorted sync signal and in the case of one of the chinese brands may be very mild. I may be exaggerating the difference slightly but my point is there is a difference in how agressive the macrovision signal is.

I've just done a copy for a friend of Matrix Reloaded. He bought an original Region 2 version of this to play on his US spec Panasonic dvd player and it won't work even though its multiregion. He has an oldish tv and plays back dvds through his svhs video. As you can imagine with his setup if his dvd player had macrovision enabled he couldn't use it in his setup. His player is nearing the end of its life and if he can't get a macrovision free player to replace it he will be forced to play only dvd-r copies and commercial pirate dvds. Who wants vhs copies of dvds anyway now?

10. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Im still struggling to get my head around the fact that I had no problems with my old sd900. I am using components, everything is exactly the same apart from the DVD player.
    Also thanks for your advice.
    Any more recommendations for a nice replacement player?

11. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    As bonzobanana said(which i didn't quite realise) the Marcovision is applied by the player, but the disc themselves tell the machine when to apply it.

All i can think, as i stated before is your old SD900 had the Marcovision disabled, so when a disc asked for it to be applied the player ignored this and didn't send the copy protection signal, meaning the picture wouldn't have become distorted.

I will post a few pictures in a little while showing how Macrovision affects my picture.

12. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Here's a couple of photo's, my Denon 2900 replicate's the Sony 930 picture in terms of distortion.

[​IMG]
    Sony 930 Picture

[​IMG]
    Pioneer 525 Picture, DVD player has the Macrovision disabled!!

Giz.

13. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks again, I understand now. Although my picture is not as bad as that.

14. djnsh

djnsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gizmo 76 - thanks for the screen shots, I used to notice this effect with my old Sony 24" widescreen TV before I bought a projector.

However over the period I had the TV I noticed it using two different players, originally the Wharfdale 750 and also the Sony 705 which I still have now, both multiregion versions.

At the time I thought it may have something to do with poor centre speaker shielding affecting the picture as the TV was relatively small, and the centre speaker relatively large and the distortion immediately underneath the centre speaker.

Obviously as I now have the speaker underneath my projection screen and also, may I add, the distortion is definitely not present, I thought the speaker was the cause. However on reflection, I don't think all discs showed the effect, and hence your explanation.

You must admit the speaker looked a likely candidate - what a coincidence don't you think? I am sure others reading this thread have had similar problems - who would have thought macrovision was the cause!

However it seems that the projector when converting the image into a progressive form, seems to not be affected by this problem.

15. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I posted a question and was sent this link as I have a flickering in the top and bottom left hand side of my telly when I watch region 1 DVDs. Does that sound like macrovision to anyone? I've re-read this thread twice and I'm not convinced that it is.

Regards

Darren

16. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I sent you the link, i'm not sure if your problem is Macrovision, but i know it can cause different picture related problems than the one's i'm having.

You said that it only produces the problem's with certain region 1 dvd's, very noticable with the Pixar films, mine is also extremely noticable on these films!! Does the problem show up on 'Final Destination 2'(NTSC) or any PAL films??

Hopefully it's not connected to Macrovision because more and more people are having these issues above and it just shouldn't be happening:mad: :mad: