Which dvd-player with HDMI?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Corgan_dk, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Corgan_dk

Corgan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    I've been reading threads here in this forum for some months now. Thought it might be time to register and join the discussions.

Well... I resently bought a Panasonic AE700. The projector supports HDMI input, which is why I'm currently looking for a good dvd-player with HDMI output (to a reasonable price). Here is what I found so far:

Samsung HD-945
    Panasonic DVD-S97
    LG LDA511
    Sony DVP-NS975V
    Arcam DV79
    Toshiba SD-5960
    Denon DVD-2910 (too expensive though)
    Pioneer DV-668AV (too expensive allthough Pioneer is know for its quality-players)

I'm willing to pay about $400-450 for the player.

Now here's the million $ question: Which player is the best? :D
    And where can I get the player (I live in Denmark, Europe)? Should I avoid any of the mentioned players?

The Samsung-player looks pretty fine... but I can find a place where is't awailable (Pixmania keep changing the availability-date!!).

Thanks.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just to add to confusion you could add the Momitsu V800DX to the list. :) It's DVI not HDMI but that should make any difference to you.

You're right, Samsungs seem to be hard to find for some reason. I think you'll find the DV79 is way above the price of the Pio 668 and Denon.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    If you are gonna do the DVI to HDMI thing you could look at the Samsung HD745 - Pixmania seem to have them in stock....PJ

4. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aslo look you can at Denon 1910. It has DVI with HDCP and upscaling to 1080i and 720p. The price is much lower than 2910 but keeps the most important features.

5. Corgan_dk

Corgan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, guys.
    But my Panasonic AE700 doesn't have a DVI-input. That's why HDMI would be the best choise for me. Won't I lose picture-quality when converting DVI to HDMI?

KraGorn:
    I didn't check the price for the DV79 before posting. :)

PJTX100:
    Yeah... I've noticed that the HD745 is in stock at Pixmania. Is the DVI output the only difference, compared to the HD945?

alefsin:
    Thanks. Do you have any experience with Denon-players? I know Denon is pretty good in the sound-department... but what about the picture?

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    As far as I know that's the only difference. I think a DVI to HDMI adapter is straight forward and cheap, but if I were you I'd probably stick to HDMI. The Panasonic seems to be good value for money...PJ

7. Corgan_dk

Corgan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks.

My second choise would be Panasonic.... but is it any good? And what about scaling the picture to 720p or higher? Does it do the job well?

8. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
  9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
  10. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I was going for the Samsung 945 until they went out of stock. In the end I blew the budget and bought a Denon 2910. The quality is excellent and you could tell the difference between that and the 1910, both of which I auditioned before buying.

11. Corgan_dk

Corgan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

...a bit more money?! £699!.... :D

Well... even though it might be worth the money, my budget is $400-450. But thanks anyway.

12. Corgan_dk

Corgan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I've heard some bad things about the Denon (can't remember if it's the 1910 or the 2910). Did you notice any problems with the player?

13. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    None at all. Upscaling is good - better than the 1910 (better Faroudja chip I believe). Build quality is solid, and has all the connections you'll ever need. I haven't tried music on it yet using the bypass mode yet.

14. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    :D I Know but it's a thing of beauty. You can't put a price on that can you?? :smashin: I wonder if it comes in Silver....

15. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I concur with Baron, its a cracking player. :smashin: A massive leap over my old player and when auditioned had the best picture against its peers. SACD and DVD-A are passable, and I don't use mine for cd's but for cinema, there's not a lot better at the money. A chat with your local dealer should also secure a multiregion unit for around £500. Only 20 quid more than online - with the safety net of the dealer being down the road.

Mine is silver!

I just wish i could have afforded the 3910 as that is even better! :confused:

16. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Have just installed the pannie 700E with HDMI from the pioneer 668i. havent tried the scart or component inputs yet need cables. Ive heard some rumours of vertical banding in the picture. theres no sign on this model. hear if you turn of the power switch (AFTER THE FAN STOPS) it clears it up.

17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Though your "switch off" advice is well founded the VB on the Pannie is more influenced by firmware version by the looks of it... I think v1.07 is the latest and most comments I've seen indicate that it clears up the VB no-end...PJ

18. Corgan_dk

Corgan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Lol... well... perhaps not. But due to my limited budget, I'll have to stick to "less-beautiful" players. :D

I've spend hours tooking for the right dvd-player (to the right price, BAN5HEE!)... and suddently I saw that the Samsung HD945 (my first choice) is available again here in Denmark. I quickly canceled my order at Pixmania and ordered it elsewhere. The player has allready been send and I should recieve it tomorrow or monday.

I hope the player won't dissapoint.

Well.. guys. Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

But now, I've got another question:

I've read that the HDMI-cable that comes with the player is worth pretty much nothing, and that it would be a good idea to invest in an quality HDMI-cable.
    Do you know where to get a decent HDMI-cable to a reasonable price (that's HDMI to HDMI)? I looking for a length that's 15 ft or longer. (The seller should be able to ship to Denmark, Europe)

Thanks

19. Corgan_dk

Corgan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks. I'll try the cable I get with the player before investing in other cables.

20. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading that HDMI cables that are more than 10 feet long can be very unreliable.

21. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    On some HDMI cabling of around 10m yes, DVI is more prone to problems at the 3m -10m range.

22. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Corgan_dk - don't forget to give us a review when you've used it a few times.

Can you check out SACD performance and let us know if the 745 bug is there (i.e no output through the sub)

I've cancelled my 945 order with Pixmania but may look again if your review is good.

Cheers

Ray :)

23. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,838
    No one has mentioned the Panny S97 here. It has had it's price reduced, so is now only £150 Multiregion. See the link

http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dvds97/dvd-s97.htm

And uses the same deinterlacer as the Denon 2910. There have also been updates to the firmware, which has eliminated alot of the macro-blocking problems that were first associated with it.

Try doing a search on here and www.avsforum.com , and you will see that there are many fans of this player for the price.

It does not play SACD though, and is not brilliant with CDs.

My opinions are my own though, and I must admit I have not seen the others in action.

Hope it helps.

Ricky

Guess I was too late, as you have already your Samsung player now but this maybe useful for someone else.

24. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I'm using a 15m DVI cable and it works very well. Got it from Lindy - £51 delivered.

It was a bit of a leap of faith because it seems no-one else on this forum is using such a length. And if anyone replies "I am" - where were you when I was asking about this?!

...PJ :)

25. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    It was suggested a couple of times earlier on in the thread. Looks a good machine...PJ

26. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The Marantz 6500 dvd player has had some excellent reviews for being great with music too. Plays DVD-A, SACD and haa HDMI output. Full asking price is £400 but I'd imagine you'd do better if you shopped around.

27. Corgan_dk

Corgan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Ray.

I'll try writing a review next week or so.
    I don't own any SACD's but I'll try looking for them. Can you recommend any?

What was the problem with the 745?

EDIT: I just found out that I in fact do own a SACD (Sting - Sacret Love).

28. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Corgan,

Glad you have a SACD to test with. Sacred Love may have been panned by everyone but at least it's multi channel so you can test out the player.

The problem with the 745 is that when you play SACD there is no output from the sub ! Apparently DVD-A plays ok through the sub but not SACD. I'd love to know whether the 945 has the same problem :thumbsdow (or not :smashin: ). Remember that you need to comnect up the 5.1 analogue outputs for SACD/DVDA as the digital connection will only carry 2 channel stereo.

Also like to hear what you think of the player for music generally and it's PQ via HDMI. What PJ are you using ?

Cheers

Ray

29. Corgan_dk

Corgan_dk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hmm... unfortunately my (crappy) reciever doesn't have a 5.1 analogue input. You see, my reciever is in fact a dvd-player/reciever, but I'm slowly replacing it with a whole new system. My next investment will be a reciever. I've been looking at the Yamaha RX-V650. Do you know if it's any good?

The projector I own is a Panasonic AE700E.

30. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I wish it was true about HDMI on this player. But unfortunately it's not :(

Ray