Which DVD Player with HDMI & 5.1 outputs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by astroman, Apr 20, 2007.

1. astroman

astroman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have on order a Samsung LE40R73 and want to upgrade my DVD player to one with upscaling. However I also require a built in 5.1 decoder and outputs so it will work with my Sony AV amp which has no built it decoder for 5.1 but discrete inputs for each channel, an optical output would be nice too for that eventual upgrade.
    The only one I have come across so far is from Cambridge (Richer Sounds) any one know of any others they can recommend?

Chris:lease:

2. Bolander

Bolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    People have reported problems with the Cambridge DVD89, which is presumably the model you were thinking of . The Oppo 981HD is very similar to the DVD89, but with none of the problems. It has the 5.1 outputs and an optical output. You may not need it but it also has a range of adjustments to tailor the outputs to your speaker size and positioning. Look at the dedicated thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440737&page=30 for more information.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    All of the Arcam players apart from the DV135 have high quality scaling and full 5.1 analogue outputs. The audio quality from the DV139 is espacially superb. The DV139 has just been awarded a Reference Status Award in Home Cinems Choice and was chosen as the best player in the Awards Issue.

4. astroman

astroman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for your views, I checked out the Arcam DV139 on the web £1800!! I'm afraid that's far too rich for my blood but I'll check out the Oppo, a bit more affordable! The Cambridge Audio Player I looked at was the DVD86, £119, does this have the same issuers as the DVD89?

Chris

5. Bolander

Bolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  6. The Programmer

The Programmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have virtually the same setup as you and I got the Pioneer DV-696AV-S. It plays just about everything and is about £120/£130. You can get it in black as well.

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/42/84/222/DV-696AV-S/index.html