Which DVD player to use with upscaling Receiver?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by EddyHorn, Sep 10, 2007.

1. EddyHorn

EddyHorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I'm currently using Toshiba HD-E1, Sony STRDA5200ES and a Samsung PS50Q96HD. I'm wanting a DVD player for watching R1 DVD's (and possibly R2 if it's better than the HD-E1). I have around £200 to spend on a new or used player. I'm currently leaning towards an older Arcam such as a DV88 but I'm wondering if this is the best option and if a progressive, non-progressive or even upscaling player would work best with my setup. The output from the player will be passed through the reciever and converted to HDMI and can be either upscaled or left as is. Any advice would be welcome. Particularly on the progressive/non-progressive issue, I think that a progressive signal to start with would be better than the reciever having to de-interlace.

2. PICKY737

PICKY737

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    As I understand it any upscaling dvd player connected to an upscaling amp via hdmi will do the scaling,the amp will just pass through any hdmi input ,however if you connect via component ,rgb,s-video or composite then the receivers upscaler will kick in so if you're running an upscaling receiver your best using a decent sd player.

3. EddyHorn

EddyHorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Amp can be set to pass through on any source (just converts to HDMI) or can upscale any input including HMDI, for example 720p hdmi could be upscaled to 1080i or 1080p if required. I am looking at non-upscaling SD DVD players but my main question is regarding progressive or not as I don't believe this is upscaling so much as non-progressive is only sending half the information available.

4. EddyHorn

EddyHorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I'm currently trying to decide between a DVD that outputs via component such as an Arcam DV88/DV88+ or one that uses HDMI such as a pioneer 868avi. Can anyone offer further advice as demoing them in my setup isn't really an option.

5. musicman1999

musicman1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keep in mind that whatever signal you feed the set will be rescaled again to the sets native resolution,if you rescale the image more than once the results are usually not good.If you feel you need to upscale only do it once.

bill

6. EddyHorn

EddyHorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I only intend to use one upscaler if any and will obviously experiment to see what gives the best result but I still have the dilema of what player to get.