1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD player to choose?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by vallhall, May 21, 2004.

1. vallhall

vallhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi ppl

Well, i am new in here, and have som questions for you ppl

My receiver is an Pioneer VSA-AX10i-s, and my DVD player is Sony DVP-NS900V.

I have 3 players am interested in: Sony DVP-NS999ES, Denon DVD 2900 and Pioneer DV-868AVi-s.

I use to listen to CD much, and wounder how much the i-link would improve the sound quality(if any) compared to analog(my current setup has only optical connecton exept analog SACD).

Please help me out here people

2. vallhall

vallhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    anyone????????????

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Get yourself an Arcam DV79, nonoe of that japanese rubbish.

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    In the hopes that the above is a mickey-taking tempter for some one to bite upon, I shall oblige. ;)

For about £650 there isn't a player to touch the Denon 2900. In fact, if the money wasn't to be spent on the car, I would have bought it then and there when I saw one in action. The Pioneer is too close to call leaving me to choose the Denon on aesthetic and cost basis. I must say that If I had an AX10i, though, the iLink from the Pioneer may have made a difference. I haven't heard the Sony, but by all accounts it isn't as good as the Denon.
    As for the Arcam DV79, that player is good, but is it really worth the extra £450 over the 2900? No. Didn't think so. If, however, you want an exceptional British player without selling your left kidney to pay for it, Creative Audio are selling the DV88+ for £500, though it doesn't play SACD.

Russell

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Denon's made in china, not japan..... :D

6. vallhall

vallhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the replys ppl

russraff

First of all i am from Norway,(explains my bad englsih) and the prices here are higher than Britain.

Have read at some forum that the Denon 2900 and Sony DVP-NS999ES are almost equal in sound qualitey.
    But i wounder if i use the i-link with Pioneer DV-868 how much ingrease in sound quality i could get from ex my own Sony DVP900 and maybe Arcam DV79 in regular CD, i mean is the Arcam much better than the pioneer if i play regular CD through i-link?

7. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Don't worry about your English - my Norweigan is much worse!

Like I said, I haven't heard the Sony, and as I don't have an iLink amp, cannot comment on the Pioneer in this respect.

If you want good CD replay, get a CD player. Even the likes of the Denon and Arcam players mentioned can approach the levels of a dedicated player. It may be that a lesser DVD player that offers similar video performance, combined with a CD player is the way to go?

Russell

8. vallhall

vallhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    russraff

Now you make me thinking.

I have also search the net for Arcam DV79 and all say its terrific on CD replay

9. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the differences reported are nowadays almost entirely due to (a) differences in analogue handling between players, (b) imagination and (c) the source of advertising revenue in review publications. If, like me, you choose digital only to the AX10i, I suspect a cheap supermarket DVD player sounds exactly the same as the Arcam or Denon or Pioneer when playing a normal CD, because the data is the same, and the AX10i does the same upsampling and reclocking. If there's something wrong with the sound, it's the AX10i, the speakers or the room that needs changing, not the CD player, however cheap.

This is not a popular opinion, and choosing a player isn't really about science. Also, if you want to get digital SACD into the AX10i, you'll need iLink.

10. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I think that you are right, up to a point. Digital audio can be effected by other influences, though not to the degree some DVD manufacturere would lead folk to believe. Vibration through the player seems to make some big differences. My parents have an old Pioneer 525 which is built like crap. As a matter of interest, I took a lend of that player and hooked it up to my rig, where I am currently demoing a Denon DVD-3800. There is a difference in the quality of digital output to my AZ1, though not quite what the price difference would suggest.
    When demoing players, I have found that the DACs inside of higher end players are implemented in such a way that the sound quality using them is better than those present in an amp. Obviously, you need to compare players and amps that are in step with each other: It would be foolish to compare a £70 Pioneer DV370 with an AX10i, a better match would be the DV-868AVi.

Russell

11. vallhall

vallhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    ancientgeek

Have you noticed big difference between i-link and analog/optical connection.

The reviews i have seen say where is an big improvment in sound quality using i-link with regular CD replay

Would you advice me to change my current player to an Pioneer DV868 with i-link?

12. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to set up objective tests, and I don't trust my own judgement in subjective tests.

firewire gives me digital SACD to the AX10, and eliminates certain questions about jitter, thus saving me the difficulty of choosing a CD player.

In the search for ultimate digital sound quality, you may like to glue lumps of lead to your crystals, to minimise mirophonic effects on timing.

I am not qualified to give actual advice about choosing a player.

13. vallhall

vallhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    ancientgeek

Many thanks again for your reply

Well, its hard for me to choose player, becouse i havent heard so many, but i think the DV-868 will fit my amp very good. And i also use quality speakers all the way,so i want the best for my system