1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD Player to buy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SuperOxford, Dec 4, 2003.

1. SuperOxford

SuperOxford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry if this is basic stuff but i am certainly not a expert on this sort of stuff!!

I am looking to buy my first DVD player. I have a 21 inch tv (cheap Ferguson with SCART socket) with stereo sound. So far the Yamaha S540, Philips 723 and Sony NS905 have caught my eye after reading a magazine (DVD Buyer). Have seen the Sony for £220 (black) and this is about the limit of my budget. The Philips looks good though and am not sure of the extra cost of the Sony is worth it. Can anyone help or even suggest an alternative player arounf the £150 mark?

One thing that i am not sure about is whether multi region is important (the philips 723 only seems to be available for region 2). Why would i want to buy a region 1 disc when virtually every decent disc seems to be available in region 2 (or am i missing something) ?

Thanks i would appreciate your help

2. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK. Firts of all go to Richer Sounds. VERY hard to beat thier prices.

Quality wise I have an SD-220 (Toshiba) very good quality and good features with great connectivity options (including component - best standard you can get for picture though can be expensive for leads and then extra sound leads.

For your money the Toshiba range is excellent and talk to the guys in Richer they really know their stuff. Try SD-330 and SD-530 from Tosh - money over on 330 will buy good leads, but you should really update the TV.

Good Luck!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Go for a Tosh 330 MR for £80 ish and spend £20 on a scart superb for the money!!! Or the pioneer 360 or 454 are also very good.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ok prices are good, staff knowledge, In my experience, not very good. I guess you could have been lucky,

Go for a Tosh 330 MR for £80 ish and spend £20 on a scart superb for the money!!! Or the pioneer 360 or 454 are also very good.

quick note find the SD330 cheaper than RS and they will price beat it, ie amazon.co.uk had them cheaper, dont mention pricebeat until you are about to pay as you might find they are out of stock very suddenly.

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    SuperOxford

Welcome to the slippery-slop of never-ending upgrading and net-searching.... you may not know it yet... but you soon will......

Welcome :)

6. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Go for the Toshiba SD330E - available from Amazon in multiregion format for £79.99 - including delivery.

:smashin:

7. SuperOxford

SuperOxford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for all your help. Think i will get a Toshiba 330 as everyone seems to recommend it.

1 more thing, I hope!

Will region 1 discs play ok on my tv as it isnt NTSC compatible. Have read on another site that it will play but be in black and white. Is this correct?

8. SuperOxford

SuperOxford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    There is another TV in the house which says that the EXT-terminals can be used for NTSC so i guess that it will play region 1 discs ok. I am right?

9. SuperOxford

SuperOxford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Amazon also sell 2 SCART leads. £5 and £17.50. is the more expensive one worth it?

10. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Without seeing the scart leads you are talking about it, you have to think that the more expensive one will be better. I don't know what TV you have, but bear in mind that the SD330E has component outputs as well, and that is the best connection option if you can use it.

11. SuperOxford

SuperOxford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thank you for your help

12. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    You'll find that a lot of people buy region 1 DVDs in preference to region 2. My collection is 90% region 1. They come out earlier, often have more extras and occasionally are uncut instead of being a 'cut for a 15 rating', for example.
    There are some examples where you'd need region 2 playback. Stuff like Bo' Selecta and The Office being out first on region 2 here.
    But I would always recommend people buy a multi-region player.
    If your current TV can't play NTSC DVDs, your next one almost certainly will.
    Lastly check out the sites for which these are the official forums.
    Plenty of DVD player and TV reviews - and indeed TV/DVD combi reviews for you there.

13. SuperOxford

SuperOxford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    So I was about to buy the Toshiba when i read a review of the Yamaha 540. it was voted the best budget-mid DVD player in their (cant remember which mag just read review in WH Smiths!).

Has anyone got a Yamaha 540? its £110 at Richer Sounds with the Toshiba £80 from Amazon. Which should i get? I know everyone on here has recommended the Toshiba but just wanna see if the Yamaha is worth it.

Help!!!!!!

14. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Try a search on this forum, from what I've read the Yam hasn't lived up to expectations. Shame, I generally like Yam kit.

Cheers

Croc

15. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SuperOx,

The fact that you have an old television tells me you are going to be moving up to get the best out of your DVD. I would go for the Toshiba 330/ 530. These machines are reliable and very hard to beat in terms of overall functions, connnections options and cosmetics for the money.

Someone said earlier abou endless searching on the net and mag reading - it's all true. The fact that you are back with a query about the Yamaha machine says that.

The connection options are best on the Toshiba and the component leads are worth getting as the quality is professional standard. One of the best 32 incher's on the market is the Toshiba 32ZD26P I have one and matched with the toshiba DVD selection produces excellent results.

Go through a good scart, or better still component (you will need extra sound cables) and you will be pleased. BTW some sales people will tell you S-Video is the best standard especially if they want you to buy Sony. Someone in Allders tried this one on me - never took him seriously after that.

Search the forums for reviews of machines - user reviews are the most reliable as they will use with many different types of TV and not all TV's match well with all DVD's.

16. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Panasonic S75 - £105 MR from Richer Sounds. £10 extra for a 3year warranty. Fantastic machine for the money.

17. SuperOxford

SuperOxford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have bought a Toshiba 330 from Amazon for £80 plus a £20 SCART cable.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Am looking forward to some decent DVD viewing now!!

18. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Enjoy your 330

:smashin: