Which DVD player to buy to go with a Toshiba 57WH36?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by monkey_boy, May 26, 2004.

1. monkey_boy

monkey_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got myself a nice big Toshiba 57WH36 and was looking at getting a good DVD player to go with it that is progressive scan. I was looking at a Yamaha DVD-S540 as they are meant to be quite good and only cost about £140. Anyone know of any better players around that will go with this TV? Do I need to spend more money?

Also advice on a good scart lead would be appreciated too. I suppose that depends on the player I decide to buy.

2. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi,

How about the Pioneer 370 which is PAL and NTSC progressive scan capable for a bargain £80. :smashin: You won't need a Scart lead for PS to the Toshiba, just a set of component leads and an audio lead to your amp. Hope this helps.

http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dv370/dv370.htm

Steve

4. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Assuming you have separate surround sound, you only need to take video to the TV, so use the component inputs on the TV. (In fact you have to use the component inputs if you are want to use a progressive scan player.) A quality component lead costs only £10 in Dixons.

(Should have read the thread properly - someone else got in first with advice on leads.)

5. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I also tried a Toshiba SD530E. I took it back because the deinterlacing wasn't as good as that from my Iscan Pro, which has an older version of the chip in the Denon 2200 and 2900. It was better than the built-in progress mode of the TV though.

The Denon is probably the best, but it is relatively expensive. I think it would be a better strategy to get cheap players and upgrade often. It's only a matter of time before a cheap player becomes available with a top-notch deinterlacer chip. The Samsung 935 falls into this category, but apparently is not very good - something to do with not being optimised for the PAL environment apparently.

I wonder if the deinterlacing in Toshibas new cheap prog. scan model, the SD340, will be any better than in the older more expensive SD530.

6. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    New Yamaha player has a quality chip - but £399 - maybe price will drop once it's out?

Yamaha 1500

7. monkey_boy

monkey_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah did know that using component leads is better than scart, ill do that then. Still not sure about the DVD player though. Was originally looking at the Cambridge Audio 540D as that is meant to be good but I saw a review of the Yamaha DVD-S540 today that said it was an excellent player and quite a bit less than the 540D, has anyone had experience with this player? I think the 540D is quite a bit better than the 530 even though it cost more! Not seen that Pioneer DV-370 before, couldn't really find a review of that. It seems a little cheap to me which isn't a bad thing but is it any good? The Denon players are a lot more and I’m not sure I really want to spend over £400 on a DVD player.