Which DVD player should I buy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ozzie01, May 27, 2003.

1. ozzie01

ozzie01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy a DVD player budget up to £1000, but would prefer not to spend all of it! I currently have a Plasma (NEC 42mp2) and would like to get a progressive scan player to make it look better!

I see from some of the threads that there are hacks for Multi-region and even some for PAL progressive scan. I own few DVD's, but travel frequently (going to Malaysia next week, where I will probably buy the recommendation that you give me) therefore MR is important. Will buy a Pioneer AX10i in the future.

Also am quite keen on the multi-function of CD, MP3, DVD-A and SACD player as well - i.e. an 'all-in-one box'

Thank you for you help, Ozzie.

p.s. Assume I know nothing!

2. kwagger

kwagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would certainly audition the Pioneer 757ai, available for about £600 from a forum sponsor, plays DVD-A, SACD, and will match you amp nicely.

Only outputs NTCS progressive scan, but the interlaced picture is fantastic on PAL.

(I am biased being a recent owner of one of these babies) :clap:

Hope this helps

K

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi Ozzie,

I'd like to second Kwagger's recommendation of the Pioneer 757 - it's a great DVD player. It's pretty good at playing CDs too and would make a superb partner to the AX10i, requiring only a Firewire cable for all your audio connections.

Steve

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Why not look at at a panny s75 IIRC corrently £150 and ProgScan!
    There are a few new budget PS players on the market but few Pal PS so it depends if you want PAL or NTSC only. Arcam DVD89 is pal PS but willl cost you £1000

5. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps you should wait till June or July when Sony are releasing some new 900 series players with 12bit DACs and both NTSC and PAL progressive. Prices from £270.

Cheers,
    Cal.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneers are supposed to have the Chroma Bug which is visible on larger screens (40" and up) Panasonics don't suffer, so perhaps the Panasonic RP-91K?

7. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Indeed !! and I personally tested it against the Arcam, Denon and Philips... definitely the best machine for my plasma screen. If you make a search in this forum ozzie1, you will find a lot to support the various comments. We have covered that a number of time in the last three months...!