• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which DVD Player plays anamorphic DivX?

topmba

Established Member
I got the sony ns76. DivX is 4:3 letterboxed, even in an anamporphic DivX file.
Makes it impossible with subtitles, as expandind makes them dissapear. Also progressive cannot be used as it squashes the picture.

If I bury those $ony cock-a-roaches, what do I do next:devil: ?

sinizterguy

Established Member
Toshiba SD360 plays them fine.

But it doesnt play high def Divx or XVid ... or even those pseudo hi-def 700mb per episode encodes.

topmba

Established Member
So, if I have a movie 2:20/1, for example Lord of the Rings in DivX, roughly 16:7 will the Toshiba respect that, by playing in a wide 16:9 anamorphic mode with black bars on top, but still in proportion?

Also, on a standard 16:9 anamorphic DivX, will it will fill the screen up, play it progressive, in proportion? no squashing?:eek:

sinizterguy

Established Member
So, if I have a movie 2:20/1, for example Lord of the Rings in DivX, roughly 16:7 will the Toshiba respect that, by playing in a wide 16:9 anamorphic mode with black bars on top, but still in proportion?

Also, on a standard 16:9 anamorphic DivX, will it will fill the screen up, play it progressive, in proportion? no squashing?:eek:

I currently have it connected to a 4:3 tv and it plays widescreen with black bars at the top and bottom. It also has options where you can select aspect ratio / zoom etc.

So dont think it would be a problem for it to output to widescreen with black bars if it needs to. I havent had a chance to play with it on a widescreen yet.

topmba

Established Member
I currently have it connected to a 4:3 tv and it plays widescreen with black bars at the top and bottom. It also has options where you can select aspect ratio / zoom etc.

So dont think it would be a problem for it to output to widescreen with black bars if it needs to. I havent had a chance to play with it on a widescreen yet.

Thanks for the reply. What are the aspect ratio options of the DVD player?

P

Peter Galbavy

My old Pioneer didn't - just shrunk the whole image, but the Samsung HD950 expands the DIVX/XVID to full screen seemingly regardless of the dimensions of the image - then you have to resize your TV as the so called "EZ View" doesn't work under DIVX/XVID playback.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom