Which DVD player? Philips or Toshiba

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chriscarthy, Aug 1, 2002.

1. chriscarthy

chriscarthy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which DVD player is better, the Toshiba SD220 or Philips DVD Q40?
    Both players sport component out, play CD-r and CD-RW and have looks to die for but which is best?
    The only difference is the philips can decode dolby digital and dts, but for £40 more is this worth the money?
    Any info would be appreciated!
    Thanks

2. Delorian

Delorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd reply as no one else has. I don't know much about the Philips player (or any Philips players for that matter) but I have never heard a bad word about the 220 (with the exception of the firmware issue).

I remember when I was young my parents giving out about a Philips tv so I have always been a bit wary of them, but there is no real ground for that.

Personally, I'm going for the Tosh. I'm not sure if Philips can be multiregioned and I know the 220 can play mp3s and many different disc types. Just remember to get it with the version 1.4 or greater firmware, which now comes as standard. Everyone must know this by now :)

3. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You tend to see less reviews of Philips players than other models so perhaps they don't send many review players to magazines. I have seen some reviews of them which suggest that they have pale colors. This has been described as "natural" but I have never seen one in action. I think the best strategy is to go to a large electrical retailer or hi-fi shop armed with a few region 2 discs and ask to see them played on the machines or makes that you are interested in. Pick scenes that you know well and pick ones which have a lot of detail, motion and colour and ones with more subtle colors. It doesn't matter whether you eventually buy your player there. The important thing is to do the demo.

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips DVD players are well regarded (like the 962SA) and yes they can be remote hacked with little fuss... Other than you need a One-For-All 6 remote or a PDA >_< I don't know about the pale colours issue since I haven't encountered it during my research but I agree with Badger - Its best to demo a few DVDs to see which image you like best. Just make sure you are using an RGB scart cable or the Component out.

If you can wait a little bit longer the Philips 963SA should be out in a month or so (with progressive scan) and I'm sure that will drive down the prices of the 962SA... Much like how the Toshiba SD510 dropped from £400 to £250.

If you must buy one now then I would suggest the Tosh 220 multi-region over the Q40.

5. mrbluesky

mrbluesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hello

Dont know what the Philips is like but I have the Tosh SD220
    and I am very happy with it
    Hope it helps

M