1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD player is best for sound ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rags, Aug 10, 2003.

1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I need to buy a new DVD player - my main priority is the sound quality (stereo listening with CD's and movie playback through a processor). I currently have a Pioneer 717.

I have narrowed my choices down to 4 players and wanted to get some advice / opinions before I finalise -

-Denon 2900 (I have read about the problems associated with the Denon but it still supposed to be a good player).

-Pioneer 757 or 656 - is the 757 paying the extra for - I mean will it result in better DD / DTS / CD playback ? Will I notice the difference ?

-HKDV25

Picture quality is not a factor in my decision although I understand that all of the players above are pretty decent.

Thanks
    Rags

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    If your looking for better music cd playback wouldn't it be better to keep your existing dvd player for movies and use the budget for a designated cd player? Even higher end dvd players can't compete with similar budget cdp's and often cdp's half the budget of the dvd player will better it. You could also look into buying an external dac for stereo duties.

edit:-

also I think the processor will have a greater impact on sound than the dvd players source signal.

3. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I own a 656 & have a 757 on loan to see if Prog Scan looks better on my Plasma (Jury's out on that one). Both players produce great pictures, but neither the 757 nor the 656 can hold a candle to my CD72T for CD playback.

My advice, don't compromise get separate dvd & cd players - a 656 is so much cheaper than a 757 that you can buy a CD72T (or similar) & still have a few quid to but interconnects.

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Wilber - through your Pioneer which sounds better playing movies - the 757 or the 656 ?

6. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out this months HiFi News for an audio review of the 2900. They thought it was top, and so do I.

I listened to both the 2900 and 757 with CD. SACD,DVDA and the Denon was better in every case.

Would expect 656 to be a lesser device than 757, due to the price.

Not listened to HK or Arcam(no SACD). Marantz 8300 was good but to pricey.

Rog

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Decisions Decisions..............

The Denon 2900 from what I can gather is a fine machine and at some stage the progressive scan will come in handy.

OR I could go for a 656 and a good CD player (I have demoed the CD72 at home and though it was a fine machine - not the T version) for similar money to the 2900 but will probably get better CD sound but no ps,

OR I could go for a HK25 and a good CD player gaining ps but losing SACD, DVDA etc.

I am inclined to getting the 2900 but I really like the sound of getting a seperate CD player.

:confused:

8. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Same thing I went through. I decided on a Iscan for ps duties (all sources are converted then).

I decided on a 656 for it's dvd-a and sacd. Although I'm now holding off for the 565 which, apparently, replaces the 656 and is £160 cheaper!!

I will buy a separate cd player sometime.

I did look at and like the 2900 but as I have many R1 discs and I have seen lots of threads reporting problems with the MR firmware patch screwing up prog scan and 1/3 of the picture going funny etc so I decided against it. It's nice having the ability to upgrade the firmware but I don't want to spend all my spare time hunting down new firmware to fix problems...especially if dealers charge £50 to apply a new one. I'd rather have a player that works out of the box.

9. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rags The CD sound on the 2900 is pretty good for a machine that does so much else. Its not as good as my 8 year old Linn Mimik for CD though. However the Linn cost more than the 2900 and that was some time ago.

Good news is that my bird can listen to music whilst I watch a DVD because we have 2900 and Linn players and two amps.

However if you like surround and if you like Floyd, the SACD of Dark Side of the moon is brilliant. Also Polices greatest hits on SACD with surround is also excellent.

I would future proof.

AVland were top on price and delivery (next day) Multiregion, not using PS currently but the hack is on the forum and looks easy enough

Rog

10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    In movie mode they sound the same to me - digital connection to amp which does all the work. I haven't checked out SACD performance as that involves large numbers of interconnects & TBH I think the 656 is great playing DSOTM so any improvement will be a bonus. Not convinced yet over improvement in PQ which is what will drive me to upgrade.

11. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    When is the Pioneer 565 out ?

12. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Rags

The 565 is out now and available for about £215 from Avland, it offers nstc progressive but not pal.

Another player with good reported CD playback in a lot of reviews is the Phillips 963. This offers Pal progressive and SACD for about £310.

13. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I thought the replacement for the 656 was the 668. I saw it in a post on this forum not so long ago.

Hus

14. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    963 doesn't have dvd-a :( a great player though.

Wilber, The best way to see the differences between interlaced and prog scan is to use a disc with test signals. You can then clearly see the faults you'll see when watching films. Depending on how picky you are you may not see any faults with Interlaced unless you have them pointed out to you. If you can't get hold of a test disc here are a few I can think of...

Gladiator: Jaggies on Gladiators shields in the arena shields etc.

SW1: pod race when a pod racer breaks down and a little robot gets sucked into the jet..few seconds after you see a picture of the whole ship. The edges of the ship are sparkling. Prog scan makes them solid lines.

Monsters Inc. Close shot of Sulleys hair. 000's of thin strands on hair look all jaggied. If I remember correctly the best scene for this was at the end of the film when Sulley was sending Boo back.

It's anywhere where you have thin lines. I have an external processor (Iscan) and it fixes all the problems and I also find the picture is brighter and more natural looking. I'm not sure what the 757 is like. I don't think it has the same chip as the Iscan so maybe not all the issues are fixed.

15. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Just checked - Leconcepts have it multiregion for £210 - whats with this NTSC progressive only - although I have a few NTSC discs most of my collection is PAL. When are Pioneer going to release a PAL progressive player for goodness sake ???????

16. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    JUS thanks for that - I have all of those disks, unfortunately they're all R2 PAL & the 757 I have on loan only pushes out NTSC PS.

Of course it's not just PS v Non PS thats going on here. The video processing in the 757 is reputed to be of a higher quality than the 656 - but on a 32 inch screen it just doesn't seem to be so much better that the extra dosh to upgrade is justified. My inclination is to wait for the next generation Pioneers.

17. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    757Ai is Pal prog now as is the 2900.

Its probably a price point thing.

Rog

18. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Wilber, Yea. Don't know if you're really going to see much difference on a 32" tv. I can see big differences on a 7/8ft screen. I thought the image on my 28" tv was perfect. You dont see all the faults on a smaller picture. Blown up 6/7+ times they become obvious. I'd spend the money on a projector if I were you :) :)

Out of interest. Which dealer are you talking too? Sounds like they give a good level of service.

Oh yea. Where did you buy DSOTM? Can't find it on SACD.

19. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    My dealer is sevenoaks in Bristol - top blokes.

DSOTM is available everywhere - sold as a CD generally as it is a dual layer disc. If the cover matches my avatar (as opposed to the old black background) then you have the right one. Play have it: http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=CD&title=114288

20. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Although its not on your list, consider the Philips 963SA for its Redbook CD playback.

Does 96/24 and 192/24Khz upsampling, and everyone raves about how good CD playback is.

Before I upgraded to the 963SA I owned a Pioneer 737 and didn't rate it at all for CD playback. Not sure how the newer Pioneers are in this regard though....?

21. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Wilber, cheer mate. I have ordered :)