1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD player is best for PV500?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dsbaker, Aug 9, 2005.

1. dsbaker

dsbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, I have recently bought a 37" Panasonic PV500 and, so far, love it. My big problem is which DVD player to match with it for the best possible picture.

I have a Toshiba SD350e hooked up via HDMI. Pictures great but I feel it's just missing something...picture feels a bit "flat" if that makes sense and there's no tweakability that I can see.

I have looked at the Denon 2910, Pioneer 868 etc but really don't know if I can justify these kinds of prices unless the difference is going to be really noticeable. I have given up looking for a Panasonic S97 by the way, as no-one seems to have them any more.

I'm also confused as to which display mode (1080i, 720p etc) is best for the plasma as I really can't see much difference between them. Confused!!! any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. dsbaker

dsbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update...have been playing about with the SD350e and I'm getting quite annoyed with it...for a start if you make a change to the (limited) settings, e.g. edges and HDMI output, it resets everything to factory default the next time you switch it on!!! Definitely think I'm going to change it now.

3. steve24855

steve24855
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic S97 available here
    http://www.westgateav.com/index.htm
    BRGDS
    Steve

4. dsbaker

dsbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve
    Called them but they're out of stock. Am pretty much decided on a Denon 2910 now - had a demo last night and it looked excellent but I simply can't/won't stretch to the price of a Pioneer 868. I'm packing up the Toshiba and taking it back to the same place in part-ex for the Denon so at least it'll be simple.

Just in case anyone's thinking of a Toshiba SD350E I can pretty much say it's a VERY disappointing player. PQ is pretty good but anything that refuses to remember settings, freezes midway through discs, plays incorrect audio (e.g. PCM stereo instead of Dolby, DD instead of DTS) is no good at any price. It feels like a rushed product to me.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    868 is supposed to be available for £499 now rumour has it, how much is the 2910? Can't be much difference

6. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Personally I would stick to using component for current DVDs. Little point in using HDMI for SD source. Save the HDMI for something more worthy!

7. dsbaker

dsbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try getting one!!! Best price I've seen is £599 multiregion, but no-one has stock at anywhere near that price.

Got the 2910 hooked up now. Initial impressions are very good indeed but I'm yet to play with it properly...